• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 shockwave wood furniture

AMIGO, we are with you. This group loves everything that's about the Shockwave. Thanks for joining the group and we want to see everything you do. How about some pictures.
Here's where she is at right now.
abad5135612cc916daa2389f0cb39b92.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yah, found him awhile ago, he refused to sell just the grip, and he rtefuses to sell it unfinished, also it comes from thailand.

Anyway, $150 is way too rich for my blood on that, so, I spent $35 on some wood and will spend some time.

All I'm gonna say right now is some of you folks are a bad influence. Stay tuned. I might have some updates on sunday.

Capitalism at its finest. Good for this guy. I spent $50 on a surplus forend and buttstock set. I then cut, shaped, sanded and stained both pieces on my own. Fun little weekend project for me.

Good for him if he finds customers that are willing to spend an extra $100 for a finished product that's ready for staining. Me, personally? I'd rather spend that extra $100 on a belt sander that can be used for other things around the house when I'm done making my grip. Which worked out really well for me, because I ended up wanting to make a 2nd grip that fit my hand better.

Love your build, Dr. M. I'll be watching for your Sunday updates!

Hey Doc......why do we have to wait for Sundays? I can't take this once a week update.....they call it withdrawals.
I'm still waiting on DarkPassenger to give up his Cerakote Special.

Good for him if he finds customers that are willing to spend an extra $100 for a finished product that's ready for staining. Me, personally? I'd rather spend that extra $100 on a belt sander that can be used for other things around the house when I'm done making my grip.

^Now, there's a man after my own heart.

tenor.gif

The birds head grip and foregrip came in today. I guess he took my "no stain" request and still had them put clear coat on it. No worries. Im happy to note the birds head is slightly larger than stock one, so the legal part won't be a problem. Only issue is the foregrip as far as fit is concerned. I will have to remove about 1/2 " of material so I can screw the foregrip retainer nut on(or whatever it's called). As you can see in the close up, it's just a tad too long. Foregrip doesn't hit the action when all the way open or drag the heavy walled barrel like I thought it would. So that's good. Now time to remove the clear, add some darker stain and go from there.
b39c00501d8e54aafcb6a7b6f34cbc76.jpg
0e8fe282891ce7df33753812856f7b97.jpg
7d277b3009148f0322d62a54c0668439.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Yah, I messaged him and he said he wont send an unfinished one, and that the finish should be easy to remove.

I was like im not paying $150 for something that I have to strip and refinish. I wasnt asking for a discount, just for raw wood.

Its kinda like how Boyds gun stocks actually charge you MORE to give you an unfinished stock, because they say they have to hand pick it out of the line and put it back later on :rolleyes:

That being said, the wood work looks great and those will look fine when you refinish. I didnt know it was a long tube fore end tho.

I seen that guy post his stuff on ebay well before the shockwave was ever released by mossberg. I think he originally intended to cater to those that were building shockwaves at home themselves using pistol grip only mossberg models and conversion parts from kak, who supplies the shockwave parts to mossberg. When guys were doing the conversions they were just cutting down the barrels and using a conversion mag cap but they were retaining the long action slide so it makes sense this guy still sending out the long tube wood forends.

What the PGO converted moss500 shockwaves looked like before mossberg started to produce them.
ad_1.0.jpg

Last edited:
First post. First mossburg I have owned. Bought it because it's an awesome little gun. LOVE the wood look, that's why I have joined.

I have contacted the eBay seller mentioned on page 1 and they said they will be selling the unstained ones next month. I have replied to see if they will be selling 100% raw wood or if it will have some kind of varnish, or clear on it. Hoping there won't be and it will ship, modify what is needed if any and then stain.

Good info here, thanks for that!

I also want to do the heat shield I think.

MossStock.jpg
Nice Shockwaves...now to tease you all with an Exporter optioned 1st Gen Raptored M590A1 with original Vintage Mossberg Police Wood up front!

Last edited:
Me either.

Federal law is pretty plain about it.

This is from Mossberg directly:

http://www.mossberg.com/category/series/590-shockwave/
Classification of the 590 Shockwave
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives has confirmed the 590 Shockwave as a “firearm” per the Gun Control Act (GCA), but not a Class 3/NFA firearm.

click here for ATF letter: http://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Shockwave-Letter-from-ATF-3-2-17.pdf

View attachment 16547

He said it was "factory raptored"

Also noticed this, but admittedly, I don't keep up with kalifornia gun laws nor who is obeying them:

This shotgun is NOT on the California compliant list.

Under CA laws...
It is classified as a SBS (firearm that shoots shotgun shells and has a less than 18" barrel length).
In order to legally acquire/possess a SBS in CA, you need a valid CA DOJ Dangerous Weapons Permit for a SBS.
CA DOJ Dangerous Weapons Permits (DWP) require a good cause for issuance.
Per CA laws, there are only two valid good causes for issuance for a DWP for SBR/SBS: [PC 33300(a)]
1. To import/make/transfer to Gov/Mil/LE agencies. [PC 33300(b)(2)]
2. For use as a prop in the entertainment industry (movie/tv). [PC 33300(b)(1)]
In addition to paying an annual fee to maintain the DWP, the DWP holder is subject to annual compliance inspection audits.
All dangerous weapons in the DWP holder's inventory needs to be registered with CA DOJ.
All locations where the dangerous weapons will be stored needs to be registered with CA DOJ.
All vehicles that will be used to transport the dangerous weapons needs to be registered with CA DOJ.
Storing in a non-registered location and/or transporting in a non-registered vehicle is grounds for permit revocation and having the entire inventory confiscated.
Using the dangerous weapon beyond the scope of the good cause for issuance of the permit is grounds for permit revocation and having the entire inventory confiscated.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1335477

You are correct...was an Exporter optioned (not Factory...my Bad) 2014 Mossberg 590A1 14” Police Shotgun, 12 Gauge, Bead Sight, Synthetic and/or 1st Gen Raptor Stock (No Hole Cover), Cylinder Bore, 51682 as purchased which was recently upgraded with some original Vintage Mossberg Police Wood up front.

Last edited:
I clicked on the link you added, and the shockwave grip model you indicated was NOT listed. Matter of fact, this is the photograph of the model number you specified.

USA Police or Gov't only...Canada open...2014 issued Mossberg 590A1 14” Police Shotgun, 12 Gauge, Bead Sight, Synthetic with interchangeable Raptor 1st Gen Stock (No Hole Cover), Modified Bore, 51682 as purchased.

51682.PNG

Further, a gun exported to Canada, while legal there, doesn't guarantee legality if re-imported back into the USA regardless of whether it has a shockwave grip or not when you got it.

It's what was on the receiver when it shipped from the factory.

Federal law is pretty specific that if it ever had a shoulder stock, just swapping out to a shockwave grip won't pass legal muster.

Back