• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 Tactical Magazine Tube Removal

00 Buck

.22LR
Hey guys, I picked up my new 590 Tactical yesterday, and today in the mail received the NDZ Performance safety selector and magazine tube follower I ordered. The safety selector is really simple of course, one screw. The magazine tube follower should be easy too, but there seems to be some sealer on the threads where it threads into the receiver. With a two handed very tight grip I can't break it loose at all. I don't want to grab the tube with slip joint pliers or anything like that as I'll either collapse the tube, or scratch it, or both.

Any ideas as to how I can loosen the tube and remove it?

up8hLJh.jpg

There's no need to remove the mag tube. Once you have the mag cap and barrel off, you can see there is another cap inside the tube. It can be gently pried out with a screwdriver.

Just be careful not to let it go flying under spring pressure. That inner cap isn't even needed. In fact, when using a magazine extension, it is left off.

There are videos on YouTube.

I did see a few videos where the plug was pulled out. And I guess I was just concerned that it wouldn't go back in tight again. But then it didn't even occur to me that the threaded cap will keep it from going anywhere. Overthinking it I guess.

Thanks, I'll gently pull it loose.

Are you still able to combat load (port load) and chamber rounds with the NDZ follower installed? Some of the other aftermarket followers I tried did not protrude far enough from the magazine tube and this would cause shells to get nose caught on the top lip above the magazine tube when trying to chamber the shell during a combat load. I had to go back to the stock follower.

Last edited:
Back