• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 Front sight replacement

USAONEx

Copper BB
Like others I had trouble with my Blackwater 590A1 shooting about a foot low at 25 yards, I have the XS Ghost ring rear with the ,400 front blade on the high front mount, I was afraid it would be a tIght fit but after I removed the set screw I was able to remove it by hand, After cleaning the barrel dove tail with alcohal I applied red loctite and installed an XS ,250 front sight. It appeared good and snug after I centered the sight, Hopefully this will help get me on target at 25 yards since this is my house gun, Anyone else have this Blackwater edition with this issue? Mossberg said that it could be an issue with the barrel but thought I would give this a try first.

Just in case others have this issue, I got a new sight from XS Sights and the gun is now shooting dead center at 25 yards. You will need to get the .250 sight. The folks at XS sights are top notch!

Yes sir. I did see your post and it helped a lot. Thanks. The only issue I had with the gun was sticky extraction, especially with low brass cheap shells. I have polished the chamber with steel wool but have not had a chance to shoot it yet. Hopefully this will correct that issue.

Which cheap shells?

The cheap Winchester are known to suck a$$. The hulls tend to swell even before firing, the steel cup doesn't help matters any either. I avoid them at all cost.

The Remington STS handicap loads are my favorite "cheap shell" by far. They're ~$7 something a box of 25, the hulls are smooth sided which aids in feeding and extracting, and no problem with brass cups either.

You can reload them a dozen times or more too.

Federal bulk pack work alright, but do have steel cups.

Only reason I mention the steel cups is they don't tend to expand when being fired like (softer) brass and they will allow a little blowby fouling back into the receiver. You won't ever shoot enough of them to harm your chamber.

Normally I use the Remington high brass #6 shot, 00 Buck, and slugs. These were number 8 shot Federal. You're right that low brass cheap stuff sucks. Thanks for the advice sir, I appreciate it.

I've not had any "sticking" issue at all with the 590A1. I don't shoot very many target loads thru it though. Mostly slugs and buck shot. I may take it the sporting clays course this weekend to put some #7.5 shot thru it and see how it does. I have Rio and Remington 12 ga. target loads.

Back