• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590a1 heatshield Install directions

Does anyone here have a link to video instructions for the installation of the Mossberg 590a1 heatshield (16335P)? I've found one video for a generic 500 heatshield install, but it didn't go into too much detail on how the spacer is supposed to be cut and placed. Is it supposed to be cut to an exact length so that the heatshield doesn't slide forward at all during shots? If so, anyone have tips on how to make it fit exactly?

Also, anyone have any recommendations on an aftermarket safety button replacement?

Does anyone here have a link to video instructions for the installation of the Mossberg 590a1 heatshield (16335P)? I've found one video for a generic 500 heatshield install, but it didn't go into too much detail on how the spacer is supposed to be cut and placed. Is it supposed to be cut to an exact length so that the heatshield doesn't slide forward at all during shots? If so, anyone have tips on how to make it fit exactly?

Also, anyone have any recommendations on an aftermarket safety button replacement?
Hi Fred245,
Not sure about the heat shield question. Regarding the after market safety. I'm very happy with the Promag safety. You may also want to replace the factory fastener while you at it. This is not required but the factory screw is a bit of a PITA to work with.

You are right in that the spacer keeps the heat shield from moving forward under recoil. First, remove the front bead sight. Put the heat shield loosely on the barrel with the barrel in the receiver as normal. Push the heat shield to the rear until it is flush against the receiver. Measure from the front screw hole to the rear of the barrel magazine loop. Use this measurement to cut the spacer. Measure from the second hole in the spacer (the long thin shaft goes towards the muzzle) to the point on the spacer shaft that matches the initial measurement from the heat shield above. Cut the spacer shaft to that measurement. This should be the measurement, when the spacer is installed on the heat shield screws, that keeps the heat shield in place. You may have to make some minor adjustments to the length of the spacer shaft for a final fit. When you have the spacer cut to the correct length just mount it on the heat shield screws with the end of the heat shield shaft touching the rear of the barrel magazine loop and tighten down the screws for a final installation. Reinstall the front bead sight.

It took me longer to write this than the time needed to do the job - easy.

Edited to add: Remove/reinstall the front bead sight.

Last edited:
And you worded it better than I could too...thanks for helping Mark !!

Back