• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 New Owner Questions

raindog308

Copper BB
Hello, folks! I have a new 590A1 and a few questions...

(1) While I first got it, I noticed the safety was sticky and hard to push. I disassembled the shotgun just to learn how and afterwards the safety was stuck on safe. I oiled, etc. but could not push it forward. I gave it a gentle (well, not so gentle...) tap with my gunsmithing hammer and it finally popped forward. After that I've been able to move it back and forth (though it's very rusty) and have coated both sides with CLP. Is there something else I can do to "break in" the safety? Seems like a common Mossberg design complaint and a bit disappointing in an otherwise outstanding design.

(2) Looking at my safety, it appears to be slightly off-center. This is the best I could show it in a picture. Is this something to be concerned about?

(3) I had an inkling to add a Mesa side saddle, but doing so would require removing the ghost ring. Is the ghost ring welded on or is it removable? I didn't see info on this in the owner's manual.

(4) Finally, what is this tool that came with the gun? Other than the owner's manual/paperwork/safety lock, it was the only other thing in the box.

Thanks!

IcZ6EQa.png

OokiJEq.png

I loosened the safety screw a tiny tiny bit to get it as i wanted...

The ghost ring sight is removable but one screw is one with the sight so you have to turn the entire sight. Cant remember which one it was :) probably the screw closest to the stock

The safety will loosen up a bit over time. You really do not want it to easy to move else it will disengage by being bumped, caught on clothing, etc. It should take some effort to disengage it.

That said the mechanism is a small metal ball pressed against a detent. Sometimes the ball is out of round or there are burrs around the detents that cause the need for excessive force to actuate. You could disassemble and check that. Be careful not to lose the small spring and ball when you take it apart

Back