• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590A1 receiver gouges

Texasavage

Copper BB
Hi
I sent my 590a1 into mossberg as recommended by them after sending them some pictures due to gouges on the top side of the receiver and my elevator rubbing on the side as well. It's finally on it's way back to me and they replaced the bolt and magazine spring and adjusted the elevator. They say that the gouges on the receiver are normal and all have them due to the inspector stamp under the ejector. This doesn't sound accurate to me so I thought I'd ask here for others to compare to.
I saw a post when I originally emailed them from this site and the receiver was replaced, so I was expecting to see the same. Unfortunately they are calling mine "normal wear" which is funny because they did replace the bolt.
Thanks
IMG_3815.jpg

IMG_3816.jpg

I don't have the gouges like that on my 590, but it's only got 160 live rounds through it and probably 450 dummy rounds cycled. Yours looks like it has a lot more than that.

If the rubs are what you're meaning, it's totally normal. There's not much in that gun that can cause "gouges". The inside top will eventually be all grey from rubbing. Just keep it lubed is all you need to do.

The lifter (elevator) is something you need to do yourself. Those arms are flat springs that keep the lifter in via the pins in the receiver holes. Every time you remove it to clean it, you're squeezing the arms down. It'll ALWAYS rub on one side or another unless you fit it each time you remove it. To do that, just strip it all down to the receiver and lifter only and then work it up and down with your finger. If it rubs slightly on either side, remove it and GENTLY flex that arm outward a hair. It'll take a minute or two but you'll hit a spot where it swings smooth with zero rubs. Next, insert the bolt and work the lifter up and down again. If it rubs again, do the opposite from before. Keep working at it and you'll eventually hit a spot where the lifter swings smooth and no rubs on either the receiver or the bolt. It sounds difficult. It's not. It takes just a few secs every time you reassemble your weapon.

The paint rubs....it's normal. I'd show you some really well used receivers about right now if I could reach them....but this back of mine, it ain't happening. Sorry. Your gun looks absolutely normal. Looks new, too. Nice gun!

Welcome to the forum, Tex!

Rich

If rubbing is an issue why not swap out the bolt and the lifter for polished versions and not worry about it anymore? the polished ones are prob easier to clean as well.

looks to me to be excessive wear ........a pump should not be like that -just m.h.o. ..., but not right in my book

Back