1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to view and order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

590A1 retrograde stock refinish

Discussion in 'Mossberg 590 Pump Action' started by Garage161, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Garage161

Garage161 Copper BB

Long story short;
    Bought a 590A1 retrograde ,
    Mossberg decal on butt stock peeled off the wood finish when removed ,
    Got a new replacement stock sent out under warranty,
    Stripped and refinished the original stock.
    I used a razor blade to remove the original finish, then I steel wooled the stock and applied a few coats of Boiled Linseed Oil.
    The original finish was a lacquer or some such thing , it wasn’t even bonded to the wood , literally peeled off like old paint.
    I have no clue why mossberg would take such a nice piece of wood and cover it with a crappy finish like they did.

Attached Files:

2. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Me either.

If the stocks were still too wet from the stain and pre-treatment and the top coat were applied over top of that too soon before fully curing, could be a reason why it was having problems.

Not making excuses, but it is a feasible explanation of what may have happened to have caused that.

I'm glad they sent you out a replacement though.
  3. nitesite

nitesite Sheepdog Moderator "Philanthropist"

Are you considering now doing the forend in BLO?
  4. sixbennetts

sixbennetts .270 WIN

I'd suggest Birchwood Casey's stock refinishing kit. I got an amazing finish with it on my Shockwave project.

PicsArt_06-14-05.50.25.jpg PicsArt_04-20-12.54.46.jpg
    nitesite likes this.
  5. ricky_bobby

ricky_bobby .22LR

How good is the finish on the replacement stock? (Maybe a bad batch on your gun?) Glad they let you keep the defective one - that is crazy! I would love a Retrograde but I had to put a Bantam wood stock on my 500, the 14" LOP is way too long for me.
    sixbennetts likes this.