• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590a1 wood stock project

Salps

.22LR
I currently have hogue 12 lop stock set on my 590a1. Acquired a wood set to strip and refinish to install sometimes. Anybody have a recipe and tips for doing it right. Trying to copy the retrograde stock color, but made be not as glossy.20201218_092138.jpg

Hi there! I've re-finished wood gun stocks before. There are many products you can use to get the job done. Gel paint stripper with a toothbrush works well to get the original gloss off the wood , then neutralize the stripper with an equal part solution of water and vinegar.

What I find best is to use sandpaper of various grits, then slap some Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil on, "sand" it abit with 0000 steel wool, and repeat the process until you achieve a nice colour and finish. You can then choose to seal that colour in with wood sealer.

I've used the Birchwood Casey kit found here: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0014VROMQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_t1_3Uv3FbPGT8SRM

And for your size of project, this kit should suffice. Be sure to buy a bag of 0000 steel wool tho.

That's my process in a nut shell.

Shoot some photos of your process, and final product.

Edit to add: Be sure you take your recoil pad off before you apply the stripper. You will be sorry if you don't.

Anybody have suggestions for a stain to use that is similar to the retrograde stock color? Red but real red lol.

In order to get the colors I want I often have to mix stains and test results on the back of the part somewhere you will not see it when finished.

I’ve been fixing furniture for decades so I have about 12 little cans of stain.

Back