• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

600AT trials and tribulations

Rickomatic

Copper BB
Hi guys. Subscribed to this site specifically to look for answers. Hope the knowledge base here can help.
I've got an old New Haven 600AT that I bought new back in the 1970's. I've used it very little, but being in pretty good shape for it's age, I'm converting it into a turkey gun. I did have some problems with reassembly and the action not cycling and jamming, but that pretty much resolved itself. Not sure what the issue was but after disassembly and reassembly dozens of times using YouTube videos, it finally worked. Never did figure out what the issue was. Something was sticking, then all of a sudden, didn't.
Anyway, new old issue popped up. When it was fairly new will less than 100 rounds through it, and before I had a proper safe, I think some rust issues infiltrated the barrel screw cap at the end of the mag tube. While shooting clays one time in the field, the cap popped off and the mag spring, plug, shells and follower came out the front as the barrel popped off. Not a kaboom, but unnerving never the less. I took it to my gunsmith who has been out of business for over 10 years, and he silver soldered the part back in the tube. Never really shot it much since then other than a couple 00 buckshot loads through a replacement 18-1/2" barrel.
So, today as I took it to the range to pattern it for this weekend's turkey hunt and that cap started backing out again after just one shot. I've got a couple questions.
1. how was this cap originally attached to the end of the mag tube? Looks like maybe a C clip or ring?
2. Will the new style of mag tube work in this old shotgun that has the old style tube with the 2 rings and outside spring (not mag spring but a spiral spring around the outside of the tube)

I've ordered an old style used replacement off of ebay, but if I can utilize a new style, I'd rather do that.
See the attached picture for reference.
Thanks in advance for any knowledge you guys can impart.

Attachments

• mossberg mag tube.JPG
    mossberg mag tube.JPG
    229.1 KB · Views: 6
Welcome.
Yes you can use the new style mag tube. Just make sure you get the correct length for the barrel.
I would give Havlin Sales a call they should have what you need. (636) 937-6401

Back