• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

6v solar panel comparison

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Today, I am going to show two different 6v rated solar panels as a comparison if anyone is interested in seeing some real world results.

The 6v Wildgame Innovations brand
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wildgame-Innovations-Wgi-sp-6v1-6-Volt-Solar-Panel-wgisp6v1/41081250

and the Ray O Vac Sportsman high performance solar panel
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rayovac-High-Performance-6V-Solar-Battery-Charger/37424618

Obviously, the RayOVac sportsman panel is larger which affords more efficient charging. Not only does it collect more light at any given time, it also begins charging sooner and longer than the other for the same reason when the sun is getting in view of the panels.

The price is even almost $10 less for the ROV, so it's a no brainer that it's the better choice in all respects, except for where size (compactness) is concerned. The ROV is 8.75 x 2.25 x 5.75 in size. So it's still not very large, but it is physically larger than the other.

Anyway, to keep this short, here are how both units work side by side at the same time.

The Wildgame Innovations panel is generating 5.38 volts when I checked it. It is not in direct sun and the sky is also somewhat cloudy. Just remember that both panels are side by side and in identical conditions.

While this will keep a 6v battery from draining as quickly, it will consequently not fully charge them either. The down side to seeing that the voltage output is noticeably less than what the panel is rated at, the big downfall is the Amperage output is also less, which really says that for the time your batteries are charging, it is not going to be as efficient at charging because batteries are rated with amps for a reason.

This particular 6v panel would probably be better suited to charging 4v batteries rather than 6 volt in my opinion.
solar panels 004.JPG

and the Rayovac Sportsman is generating 7.73 volts. Which is better for charging a 6v lantern battery.

I am going to use vehicle electrical system for this example, but cars are typically rated at 12 volts. But the alternator or generator will typically produce up to ~13.6 volts in order to maintain the 12 v battery.

solar panels 003.JPG

So, in comparison between the two, the Ray O Vac Sportsman is hands down the better choice in both cost and output.

Back