1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to view and order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

835 barrel on a 590a1 body. Lets give it a test.

Discussion in 'Mossberg 590 Pump Action' started by MossyOH, Oct 1, 2013.

1. MossyOH

MossyOH .410

I wanted a modified choke for clay shooting but my 590a1 only comes with a fixed cylinder choke for HD that cannot be changed without modifying the barrel permanently. I was told that the 835 barrel would fit on a 5+1 18.5 setup so I ordered it. Just came in today and it fit perfectly and came with 3 interchangeable chokes to use when I'm out having fun shooting clays and can put back the original 590a1 stock barrel when I setup for HD purposes.

What I ordered:
    835[REGISTERED SIGN] Ulti-Mag[REGISTERED SIGN] All Purpose Vent Rib, Ported, Bead Sight, 12 Ga., 28", Accu-Mag Set, Matte Blue, SKU 90831

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Will take it out this weekend and see how it shoots.

** the only negative was that the inside of the "new" 835 barrel came with a lot of rust. Took me an hour to clean the best I could with FrogLube. I hope it doesn't mean the barrel is no good. Should I return it and ask for a new barrel?
  2. aksavanaman

aksavanaman Work In Progress... Supporter "Philanthropist"

Re: 835 barrel on a 590a1 body. Lets give it a test.

Some of the 590 barrels have been coming from the factory with a brownish looking machining oil/grease that can be mistaken for rust. And even if it is rust, as long as you don't have pitting... wipe it down, oil it up... you'll be GTG, I wouldn't worry about if it came off after cleaning ;)

How much did you end up spending or the 835 barrel if you don't mind me asking... I've been pondering this same set up (of course I'd have to get a 5 shot mag tube as well....)
  3. ripjack13

ripjack13 Resident Sawdust Maker Staff Member Administrator Supporter "Philanthropist"

I love frog lube....but to clean the rust you need some actual cleaner. Like clp, remoil, or hoppes.....froglube isnt a good cleaner but is great lube rust prevention...
  4. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Racist old man BANNED

Interesting. Would that 835 barrel fit on my old (1989) 590 Mariner (8+1) 20" without needing a different mag tube or other mod?
  5. old mossy

old mossy Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

Sorry Gunny on yours you will need the mag tube also. But with both you're good to go. :)
  6. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Racist old man BANNED

^ Thanks. :)
  7. MossyOH

MossyOH .410

I hope it's just brown oil/grease and not rust.

$178.61 for the barrel on Mossberg Online. It was $30 more when I called Mossberg directly, so I ordered online. I received it 10 days later.
  8. aksavanaman

I'll keep looking for some used ones on gunbroker when they pop up. I'm kicking myself cause I missed one for $85...
  9. old mossy

Havlin has one cheap.
  10. aksavanaman

I saw that (I did get your PM... I was just lazy and didn't respond :oops: ) ... I didn't see whether they were threaded for chokes... guess I could always call..duh :D
  11. MossyOH

MossyOH .410

I took the new setup for a test drive and it was perfect. The 835 barrel on the 590a1 body was an excellent setup for clay shooting. Now I'll swap back the barrel and put-on the stock 590a1 barrel for HD use.
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  12. old mossy

,,,nice,,,,,,,ya gotta love the 500 platform...... :D
    ,,,,any pics of you new combo 590A1? :)
  13. MossyOH

MossyOH .410

[​IMG][​IMG]
  14. old mossy

Dam that barrel looks loooooooong on there. Sweet set up. :D