• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 Barrel Issues - Bad Batch

buckonz

Hi,

I have been advised that a relatively recent batch of 930's have gone out without the barrels being properly heat treated.

Someone in my country purcahsed a JM930 24" and the first time they fired a slug through it the barrel twisted. The reatiler (and Mossberg) have stood by the product and are sorting the issue out. I have a new JM930 myself (purcahsed around the same time as the person that had the issue) and will be firing some slugs through it, as soon as I get the chance to see if mine does the same.

I found no mention of the issue on the forum, so I wanted to mention it.

Cheers,
BuckoNZ

Statement from the shooter involved:
"I fired 30 shots of 7 1/2 28g and it was fine then I put one solid through and it shot about 500mm low and left at 50 Mtrs. You could actually see the twist in the barrel after!
Turns out there was a batch of barrels that did not get heat treated properly."

Can I ask who told the shooter it was "Turns out there was a batch of barrels that did not get heat treated properly." ???

Just curious where it came from.

Based on your curiosity I decided to call the retailer myself, especially as there was a possibility that I might have had the same issue. According to the retailer is was NOT a batch, but rather a "one off" thing, at this stage. He was advised that how this barrel twist CAN occur is due heat treatment being some how accidentially skipped or not done properly.

That sounds more realistic and coming from a retailer.

The big reason I questioned it was it has never come up here and there are quite a few 930 owners here.

Thank you for bringing it to everyone's attention.

Back