• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 build help

I recently acquired a 930 field with a 28" barrel from a buddy. I love it so far and plan on using it for doves, ducks, and geese.

However, during the off season I plan to use it as a security/fun gun. With that said let the build plans begin. I have already ordered a side saddle for it. I plan to order the Nordic speed bolt, and either a +2 or +3 mag tube and the mag/barrel clamp with rail for a flash light. And that is it for accessories.

Im going to locate and order an 18.5" barrel for it and have it tapped to accept chokes. My question is where can I get this done? And about how much will it cost?

Im wanting to do a fairly simple build that's not to hard to change back and forth for hunting season and also that isnt going to break the bank.

Well as for the barrel, in Texas theres a store named Triangle shooting sports you can google it the owner is benny hill his a gunsmith ( really good btw) He might have some or he can have it modified for you. His number is 361-241-1091

Sounds like a good plan! You are going to love the Nordic Components parts on your Mossberg 930. As for threading an 18.5" barrel for chokes, prices generally range from 75-150 depending on where you get it done. There are many places online that you can send your barrel to but you may have a local gunsmith that can also do it for you.

Thanks for the info. It would be nice to find one that's already threaded but I found a guy that has one on the WTB thread you started for a good deal, that im gonna talk to.

I made my home security into a (SPX) for 268.00 I used Mossberg parts, the LPA rear GRS was 68.00 p/n 18446MT, mag tube 25.00 p/n 18443MT, charging handle 20.00 p/n 19297, LPA front sight with barrel 155.00 p/n 18449MT just another avenue to follow.

Well I bought a barrel from a guy on here. Plain 18.5" security barrel. He's suppose to ship it tommorow so hopefully I will have it by mid week next week. Called Briley Mfg in Houston, they quoted me $229 to tap the barrel and for 3 flush mount chokes. Ouch! I know they make good products but lord, that's more than I paid for the gun. He wouldn't give me the option to just tap the barrel either. I had to do the package deal. So im going to keep looking for somewhere to have it done. Maybe someone will chime in who has had it done for a good price.

Ok, so now I'm thinking about not doing a mag tube extension. But I need to find a place to put a rail for a light. I found the light I want to put on it, its at elusivewildlife.com its called the xlr100. Im going to get the green led, it will be used for both HD and hunting. It puts out a whopping 200 lumens and is fairly compact. And these guys are within 45 minutes of me so it works out great.

But now I can't use the Nordic barrel/mag clamp for a rail because I wont have the extended mag. What are my options for a rail to be capable of mounting a light?

Hi Red, I don't know what clamp you have but can't you just use it to clamp the light under the barrel? I have seen clamps that go on the barrel and has a pic. rail to clamp the light to.I am glad you found a barrel here. I figured you would have better luck here than Shotgunworld.com. Why don't you pattern the gun before you have choke tubes installed. There are videos here that show what you can do with an open chamber shotty. I am not a hunter so I was wondering if that is why you want the tubes. Also, if you are thinking 00 buck Federal makes shells with Flitecontrol which keeps the pattern really tight. As I said I am not a hunter but I thought I would try to help.

Yeah I was thinking that I had seen a rail system that clamped to the barrel and allowed the light or other accessory to be mounted directly under the barrel in front of the forend, I just can't remember where I saw it. Im going to search for it.

And I more than likely will pattern it first, I just have a feeling that most loads coming from a short cylinder bore barrel are going to get big really quick. And you are correct, if this is the case I am wanting the chokes for hunting, to keep a good tight pattern.

I need some help if someone has time. The forward sling attatchment point on the forearm. How is it mounted? Does it screw into the plastic or does it go all the way through somehow? Is it removeable? And is it mounted to the flat part of the forearm or where the forearm curves at the end?

I want to mount a bipod but am afraid that the sling point is too far forward to attach to properly.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/BIPOD102-1.html

I also want to add a magazine clamp to protect the extended magazine from getting banged around but I have to wait to find out which barrel it comes back with. :?
Thanks

Paul

raven01750

Regarding the front sling stud...it's just that ..a screw in stud into the plastic fore grip and yes..it's on the curved part of the grip.

IMG_4403.JPG

IMG_4404.JPG

Beautiful. Thanks. There is even a raised piece of plastic inside for additional support of the stud. That means if I install anything, it will probably force me to reinforce the forearm somehow. I really appreciate the effort. Thanks.

And by the way. Welcome to the forum.

Paul

OK. Here's another request. Can someone measure the recoil pad of the 930 SPX with Pistol Grip Please? I'm looking at purchasing a new recoil pad possibly from "Limbsaver or Kickeez." Limbsaver has told me that their Model #10201 would be the best fit but to measure first.

Kickeez has a great template page here:
http://www.kickeezproducts.com/templates.php

It would be great if someone could trace an outline of the recoil pad to paper so we can see the proper shape and include measurements from Heel-Toe and width so we can use it for comaprison. I don't believe that it is the typical teardrop shape but is actually more rectagular. I will do it when my 930 gets back from Eagle Pass and post it if someone doesn't beat me to it. Which may still be a few weeks. Thanks.

Paul

So has anyone figured a limb saver that fits the choate mark V grip yet? My first outing with the standard monte carlo stock was awesome... Then the next day I threw on the pistol grip and the slugs and buck were destroying my shoulder, no more rapid fire...

I really need to know what will fit it, preferably an out right replacement pad, but if the only option is slip on then it will do.

Raven I have a Limbsaver 'Speed mount grind to fit' mounted on my Choate Mark 5.It comes in 5/8" and 1" and I went with the 1" model.Its the only Limbsaver that will fit that big square stock! I have not ground down mine down yet but it will have enough to grind for a perfect fit without getting into the no-grind area.I had to add a third screw and cut/shorten the other 2 but it's been on for over 8 months with no problems at all. It really does make 3" mags painless. I think it should be a factory option! I'll ask my son to take some pictures and post a how to thread this week as I know many would like to do this mod . I just don't know how to post pics with this phone and I do not have a photo hosting account. It is by far the best modification I have did to my 930..

Back