• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 failure to fire

hello everyone I just joined the forum and this is my first post. I have a 930 that I've ran maybe 12 rounce through so far. Most of them have been 3" turkey loads and I've never had a problem yet. I even took a nice tom last spring. Recently I had it out and was checking it over and I noticedwhen I closed the action and dry fired it it didn't fire. I did it again and same thing. The third time I did it nothing but when I grabbed the bolt handle it fired. Next I tried doing with the gun pointed down and it worked fine. I repeated this five more times and It worked fine. Then I tried w the gun level and Nothing. Is this common to the design or is something not right? Thanks in advance for your help.

Did you take the bolt out inspect it and remove the trigger housing to see if anything is obstructing the trigger mechanism?

Just don't pull the trigger on a removed trigger housing. Springs will fly and getting it back together is a PITA

shouldn't make a difference. When you cock the shotgun with the charging handle and have the bolt slam forward the trigger should release the hammer.

Someone else on here had a similar if not the same issue. A replacement trigger group resolved the issue IIRC. I think it had something to do with the sear not engaging properly.... Maybe I'm old and have moved past parttimers....

Something might be wacky in your trigger housing. Inspect it and if you can't find an issue call mossberg.

Another thing to check....

Take the bolt out and make sure the firing pin moves forward and back freely.

I recently had a bad experience with the red varnish / plastic / anodized coating on a snap cap turning to goo and gumming up the firing pin causing it not to want to move forward when struck by the hammer.

Well here's an update on my situation. I finally had some time to really look at it and see what I can see. Well I noticed that when the bolt was closed and I pulled the trigger, I couldn't see the hammer fall when I heard the weak click. But I did noticed it fall when it worked right. That's when I noticed that the hammer was supposed to go through the link. So I took down the gun to remove the bolt and that's when I noticed that the link pin was almost all the way out. I believe that it wasn't letting the long sit where it normally does and was binding up the hammer. After I reassembled it I tried it out in every position and it's worked great. Now my question is what caused the pin to work out. Doesn't the bolt keep it in position?

Back