• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 Feed from Tube Issue

I have a Mossberg 930 that has been a bit problematic lately. Most of the issues I have been able to resolve by keeping it cleaned after each shooting session (especially the gas system). But one issue that keeps rearing its head is a feeding problem with 3" shells. I've tried 3" Federal and 3" Winchester Super-X, both slugs and buckshot, both have the same issue. When I fire the shotgun with the 3" shells, the action appears to cycle properly, ejecting the fired shell and reseating the bolt forward as it should. However, the next round in the mag tube never gets by the shell retainer, never positions itself under the bolt for chambering. If I draw the bolt back manually, the next shell is released from the tube, drops in place, and is chambered when I release the bolt. Fire the next shot, same issue... next round never comes out of the mag tube, chamber is empty. Manual bolt pull and release successfully chambers the next round. I can go through all six rounds in the mag just like this, none will feed when the gun is fired, but feed fine upon manual bolt cycling. The 2-3/4 shells work just fine all day. Any ideas where to look for the trouble?

This is a great question as I am having a similar problem where the next shell does not chamber but gets stuck between the tube and lifter.

It might be time to replace your magazine spring. As a column of shells (especially heavy ones) tries to stay put under recoil, they aren't pressed against the shell stop where they need to be in order to feed the next into the gun as the gun moves back. Another consideration is the need to be solidly behind the gun for those heavy loads. Try a heavier (longer) magazine spring and your problems will likely go away.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

My spring only has around two hundred rounds through it but I have a 6 capacity limit in NJ and am not sure if I cut mine correctly in the first place.....what is the correct length I should cut the spring to past the magazine tube ? I think the spring length is my problem.

Last edited:
With a replacement Wolff spring, we recommend starting at 14" longer than your total magazine tube & extension length. If your first round out won't then reliably feed, polish your shell stop and remove 1/2 coil until it reliably feeds the first round (typically around 12"). That will usually be reliable for feeding the entire magazine.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

Back