• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 Lightest Load Recommended for Reliable Function

It'd be great to hear from Mossberg on this, as I'm sure they have a pretty good idea.

What is the lightest load recommended for reliable function in current production 930 autos? A minimum recommended load generally accepted for the design, in other words.

A power factor type number maybe....

I'm a new owner of a 930 Deer/Field combo, trying to break mine in. Great forum! -s

Would be interesting to find out.

As I understand it from reading on the internet there are 3 different springs that can be used on the 930/935. Red, Blue and Black. Each spring is allows different loads to be used. Don't ask me as I don't know the specifics other than the red spring allows the use of the lighter loads from what I read. My 930 has the red spring and it shoots anything from light dove loads on up.

Looking at the exploded view and parts list it doesn't show this spring and the retaining ring that screws into place but it is indeed there.

It partially depends on what barrel you are using but I have yet to find a load that my 28" barrel won't shoot (even some of the really light loads used to break clay birds).

Just took my 930SPX out this evening at my sisters house and let my boys fire off a quick test fire of 8 rounds of Federal Field & Range FRC12NBS 7.5 The box top says 2 3/4 drams and a muzzel velosity of 1145 FPS. This was low brass as I've heard it called.

I realize that 8 rounds dont exactly count as a good test of the ammo, but I was just diong a function check of the gun. Only had two problems and both seemed to be shooter error. The first was that a round was not fully seated in the magazine tube and kicked out of the magazine before firing and caused a drag on the bolt. This caused a failure to eject the spent shell. The second was a failure to extract a spent shell from the chamber. I think this was caused because the shooter was recoiling a bit more than the gun. LOL

Forgot to say that my gun has a blue spring to.

My particular gun doesn't like the Winchester Super X high brass #6 shot that Walmart sells. It became a jamomatic, so I avoid light loads in the 930SPX and try to stick to low walled or regular loads 00 Buck or Slugs.

The military cardboard style Federal 00 Buck that some people say sucks, well my 930 SPX loves that load.

I loaded up a couple boxes of 3/4 oz #8 at around 1200 FPS and used them for two rounds of skeet. The 930 functioned without a problem. :D

I sent a question to Mossberg regarding the different colored springs in the 930 series shotguns.

According to Mossberg the color of the springs is for Mossberg's information/use (not sure what that means). The red and blue springs are rated the same and should not be removed. A small brush or toothbrush to clean off the spring is all that is needed. No part number. No mention of a "black" spring.

Has anyone used the Federal load TGM 123? Its listed description is Top Gun Target Subsonic 2 3/4" #7.5 shot and 900 FPS. I was looking for some at the local gun shop, but no luck.

I'd guess that if an auto loader can cycle this load, then it should take any other reasonable load for home security.

Not sure of the lightest load recommended , but for fun shooting I buy the 100 shell value pack they sell at Wal-Mart for under $20.00 a pack. They have a couple different brands but I use the Remington, low brass 7 ½ shot, 1200 fps. So far in my gun’s short life I’ve put 300 rounds of this stuff through my gun with 100% reliability. My gun also loves standard loads, 00 buckshot and 1oz slugs.

usmc1963 said:
Not sure of the lightest load recommended , but for fun shooting I buy the 100 shell value pack they sell at Wal-Mart for under $20.00 a pack. They have a couple different brands but I use the Remington, low brass 7 ½ shot, 1200 fps. So far in my gun’s short life I’ve but 300 rounds of this stuff through my gun with 100% reliability. My gun also loves standard loads, 00 buckshot and 1oz slugs.

same here...seams 1200 fps and above, the SPX runs fine. Any low recoil 1150 fps is not 100% reliable...see if it gets better over time.

i have yet to find a load my 930 (28" barrel) won't cycle.

the spx seem to have lots of issues, the non spx less so.

Back