• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 Pistons- SBE vs Mossberg Boron Nitride

JCinOregon

Copper BB
I have an Or3gun kit in my 930 Tactical and it seems fine with lighter loads. The SBE seems out of stock the past 6 months, and the fancier models from Mossberg seem to use the BN piston. Does the BN piston offer any advantages over the stock 930 piston?

Last edited:
can you actually buy any of them? every single one of them appears to be out of stock. doesnt seem to matter which one is better if they are all unobtanium.

I haven't studied the Boron Nitride piston. I assume there is a reason it is in use, I would expect it to be hard and perhaps slippery compared to the normal 930 model, but I am only guessing.

The Mossberg press release from back in 2016(?) when the Pro models were released said:

"Boron nitride coated gas piston, piston rings, magazine tube, hammer and sear prevents corrosion, and facilitates cleaning"

Worth the $50? Probably not since it's still the same dual-ring design and you're missing the other coated components on the non-pro models.

The SBE piston, however, with it's venting design does have value when combined with the OR3Gun MST if you have a high firing schedule as it helps keep gas system cleaner and the gun cycling for a much higher round count.

There was a small batch of the SBE 930 pistons for sale in 2020 and supposedly there will be another production run "sometime in 2022" - watch this thread for updates

Last edited:
I saw a comment on reddit that said the SBE one caused metal shavings because the piston was harder than the tube metal. They said they liked the Boron one better. But he was the only one to say that so take it with a grain of salt. Everyone else seemed to be real happen with their SBE piston.

I saw a comment on reddit that said the SBE one caused metal shavings because the piston was harder than the tube metal. They said they liked the Boron one better. But he was the only one to say that so take it with a grain of salt. Everyone else seemed to be real happen with their SBE piston.
Metal shavings are more likely from the crappy Mossberg finish machining than the SBE piston. I have & like his pistons. I knocked a whooole bunch of roughage and edges off my 930. The SBE piston was smooth & ready to go.

Back