930 Torture Test at Badlands

Discussion in 'Mossberg 930 Autoloader' started by MWDG3, Oct 11, 2017.

1. MWDG3

MWDG3 Copper BB

http://badlandstactical.org/event/tactical-shotgun-2-day-course/

Finished up the two day course at Badlands Tactical in Grandfield OK. The basic 930 did very well on day 1 after approx. 150+ rounds. Class started at 8am with lecture about safety, legal/personal consequences of defensive firearms use, types of ammunition and general shotgun fundamentals. Over the next day and a half on the range we learned about "zones", combat loading, ready positions, marksmanship fundamentals along with different drills to practice back at home.

100 rounds into day 2 I started experiencing light primer strikes every 2-3 cycles. Within 10 rounds the 930 wasn't striking the primer at all. I'll be calling Mossberg Monday morning. I never shot or cleaned the gun before class. My instructor examined the gun during a thorough cleaning this afternoon and found nothing obviously broken. Same problem after cleaning the gun. I can't say I'm really impressed with the hammer strike strength. I compare it to a striker fired pistol. Any ideas?

Outside the primer strike issues I was please with performance. It really liked the Federal Premium Tactical 00. The pattern out to 36 feet was really tight. Mr. Perryman at 2A Shooting Center stippled it for me and it worked out well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Safety:

Night training, note the recoil shut off the light.
    Elbert Garrett likes this.
  2. Greg B

Greg B .410

Replace the Mossberg factory hammer spring with a Wolff 10/22 Extra Power Hammer Spring.
  3. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Did you do the stipling or was that factory?

Looks great.
  4. MWDG3

MWDG3 Copper BB

Thank you Greg, I’ll look into that.

Jason Perryman at 2A Shooting Center in Tulsa did the stippling. He did my Shield as well. It’s pretty aggressive but I can sand the edges off if need be.
  5. MWDG3

MWDG3 Copper BB

Vids work now.
  6. MWDG3

MWDG3 Copper BB

Should be able to try a few mag dumps tomorrow. The Miculek video is awesome.

Magazine tube carbon build up.
    [​IMG]

Piston fouling.
    [​IMG]
  7. Whitey

Whitey .410

Yup ^^^ keep that piston clean.
  8. MWDG3

MWDG3 Copper BB

Success! This is the 3rd of 4 mag dumps. I lightly covered the piston assembly with Rotella cut 50-50 with ATF fluid. A trick I learned at Badlands carbine class. The high detergent cuts carbon real well in high temp areas like AR bolt carriers. The rest I sprayed with dry lube from Lowe’s. It sure sounded different without oil. I think I’ll order the Hornady dry lube recommended by Miculek.

From Mossberg...

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your e-mail. My service department advised that we use WD-40 prior to shipping. I am happy to hear you are impressed with your shotgun! Thank you for being a valued Mossberg customer. Have a great weekend!

Sincerely,

Customer Service Team
    O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc.
  9. MWDG3

MWDG3 Copper BB

What no snide WD40 comments?!?! ;)
  10. MWDG3

MWDG3 Copper BB

From Gunboards...

That sounds like what I was experiencing. I'm just skeptical if cleaning the piston of WD40 would've avoided the stoppage, considering the smoldering heat running all day Saturday and several hours Sunday. I had no idea of Miculek's process and most certainly would've applied judicious oil. :)
    Here he explains it.