• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

930 Variants

I recently posted over on the 590 section asking the easiest way to up capacity from 2+1 to 8+1 - I live in Scotland so am bound by ridiculous UK gun laws.

However, rather than upping the capacity of the 590 I'm seriously considering purchasing a new 930. Never had a semi-auto and fancy a change.

Now I've done a little research and find that the 930 is not without its problems. Would I be correct in assuming however that these problems seem to affect the shorter barrelled models seeing as the gas system doesn't like them so much?

The 2 variants readily available here are the "JM Pro" and a "waterfowl" that has a 27" barrel.

I like some of the features of the JM Pro but I'm left wondering if the longer barrelled variant might be more dependable??

Cheers guys.

I purchased the 930SPX (18.5") barrel), lots of issues with the less expensive Winchester 12 gauge ammunition with failure to extract (Due to bulged case heads). However, switched to the cheapest Federal brands and the 930 ran okay. Lots of parts issues. My first barrel had the canted from site, the pusher assembly has been replaced three time, the trigger assembly was replaced, on and on and on. I switched the barrel to the JM Pro 22" version and still had the issues with Winchester ammunition. Since I switched the barrels, I have not had a pusher assembly fail. My issue with the 930 is actually more with Mossberg. I will not be purchasing any additional Mossberg weapons as I have found their quality control very lacking. With that said Joe in Mossberg's Customer Service department should be recognized as one of their corporate treasures due to his willingness to right as many of any wrong as he can. If it's affordable, i would look at the Benelli line as well before dropping cash.

I have the waterfowl edition. I have replaced several componants not due to specific issues but just to play.

Only real issues i have had are with it locking up when i first got it. This was due soley to me not cleaning it properly. The shipping grease gelled up when attempting to shoot some skeet in freezing temps. It has not happened again since thoroughly cleaning it.

The other issue i have had is the bolt handle flew out on multiple occasions. The last time I lost it. This was an aftermarket handle made by Nordic Componants. I have since replaced it again with a different handle but have not shot it enough to determine if the problem has been resolved (though it has not happened during the few rounds I did shoot)

MikeD your response sounds a little more encouraging ;)

I realise that Mossbergs are built to a budget, but in all honesty I've been reading about Benellis having feeding/ejection problems as well...

Every machine will have issues..

That said, your assumption that the longer barrels are more reliable has proven true in the time I've spent roaming the halls of this forum. My 24" JM Pro has been trouble free since I bought it. Have put thousands of rounds down range in the past couple years and it hasn't missed a beat. My 18.5" 930 Tactical on the other hand was a trouble maker from the start with any ammo under 1300 fps. Have made a few modifications that have it running like a champ now though...

My understanding is that the waterfowl model has larger siphon ports allowing for more gas = more force for operation. The only problem I've had with it is the safety, every so often something finds its way in there and jams it up, I realize that's not totally the shotgun's fault. I have the waterfowl model, by the way.

That's an interesting point scotty. I didn't realise the waterfowl had larger gas ports. Maybe that's the reason behind the longer barrelled models being more reliable - maybe all the longer variants have larger gas ports??

That's an interesting point scotty. I didn't realise the waterfowl had larger gas ports. Maybe that's the reason behind the longer barrelled models being more reliable - maybe all the longer variants have larger gas ports??

I don't know that for a fact, but I have read that on this forum before. Mine has no problem at all with light game loads. I just got a duck this morning using 3" magnums and, of course, it loves them. More reliable, albeit more ugly, than my buddy's Rem 11-87 and way cheaper. It cycled my buddy's hand loads with no issue even when their shotguns refused to. I'm very impressed with the shotgun.

The other issue i have had is the bolt handle flew out on multiple occasions. The last time I lost it. This was an aftermarket handle made by Nordic Componants. I have since replaced it again with a different handle but have not shot it enough to determine if the problem has been resolved (though it has not happened during the few rounds I did shoot)

I am hesitant to relay this but here goes..

Upon further analysis I think this may have been a embarrassingly stupid mistake on my part. Upon disassembling and reassembling my 930 before a hunting trip last weekend I noticed that the charging handle was once again loose. After playing around with it a bit I realized I had it installed backwards so that the notched side was not facing the spring detent. I suppose it's entirely possible that I had done this previously and not realized it. It was held semi firmly in place but it would not have taken much inertia for it to work its way out.

Just goes to show that no matter how much we think we have mastered something, our brains can still screw it up.

My apologies if anyone opted not to try an Nordic Componants handle based on my post.

Hopefully someone else can learn from my stupid mistake. DOH!!!!

Back