• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

9mm AR's

If I read your question correctly, you can use a standard ar15 upper receiver. Smooth sided is just more appropriate because there are no forward assist notches in the 9mm bolt, weighs less and I've never known of an issue with or without having a shell deflector. But doesn't hurt anything if you do have them either.

Yes, the ejection port lines up. In reality, the standard ar15 upper ejection port is about twice as long as it needs to be to accommodate the 9mm round.

Hey watermonkey, is that Angstadt 9mm bolt ramped? JSE has availability, all it says is "for use with standard AR15 hammer" only ones I've found that are ramped as per their spec, is CMMG, and Rock River.

Hey watermonkey, is that Angstadt 9mm bolt ramped? JSE has availability, all it says is "for use with standard AR15 hammer" only ones I've found that are ramped as per their spec, is CMMG, and Rock River.

Looks ramped to me. I can take pics if you want.

Yeah, if you get a chance. No hurry.

26007971007_44600f17ea_k.jpg

26007970747_55b2a4cc30_k.jpg

getting some packages in this week. Should be all set minus a stock to get the 9mm rifle working. Gonna send off the rail and receiver set to be cerakoted dark green. Just need to pick up a holosun red dot to finalize my build to my liking (have Magpul BUIS already in). They have Holosun in green laser now so I may wait it out for some sales in the summer. I'll have my portable bench and vise set up by Father's day so this puppy should be kicking down targets in July.

I'm getting a cheap tasco solar panel red dot this week myself for the mx5. I wanted to get a general idea of what to expect with a cheap one before I went prime time with a more expensive one.

https://www.natchezss.com/tasco-solar-cell-red-dot-sight-for-22-1x30mm-5-moa-red-dot-matte.html

I was also looking at this one below because I like the idea of solar AND operates on an AA battery, but it's a lot larger than the tasco and I was wanting to try to leave as small of a footprint on the narrow shotgun receiver as I could.

Plus, the tasco has a dovetail mount and I won't have to drill tap and install a pic rail with it, will sit closer to the bore and be less work for an experiment.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NcStar-VDB...olar-Red-Dot-Reflex-Sight-Black-/172670593934

I'm going to build mine as a pistol, but as with all my builds it's going to be fairly slow. I'll acquire the parts a few at a time. But.....ive got some extra cash laying around, from selling off stuff, and hauling scrap in. So I'm thinking next weekend I'm gonna go get a high point carbine. Ya know, just to scratch the itch.

What caliber you going with? 9, 40, 45?

9mm. I've got plenty of it. And it's cheap to restock. And I can reload for it, and I still have near 1000, hydra-shock projos. So it just seems logical.... funny thing, I only have one 9mm handgun. And three .45. I need to balance the scale a little.

Got in my package but I'm sending back the BCG (New Frontier Armory). Don't like the ramp (very little ramp if any) and I'm reading up on issues with the firing pin and spring. I'll spend the extra $30-$40 and get another Angstadt Arms BCG. That thing has had no hiccups in my first build.

JSE had 8 in stock last night. I put one in the cart, but never checked out. 14 dollars cheaper than on the Angstadt site. Guess I better get over there and get one. Thanks for the heads up on the NFA

Angstadt BCG and Anderson upper en route. (I'm not copycatting you WM I promise) I was really thinking about going with an Aero upper for the port cover, but 1) can't argue with the Anderson price, and 2) if I have to enlarge the port opening to aid ejection, the cover may not latch.

Going to get an 8.5 inch barrel from a company called Kaw Valley Precision. Their barrels are made by Faxon.

I'M realllllly eyeing the GearHead Works Tailhook Mod 2. As a complete tube, and brace assembly 200 bucks seems reasonable.

Trigger and forend will probably be from ALG. KNS pins, flatwire buffer spring. Buffer to be defermined

Angstadt BCG and Anderson upper en route. (I'm not copycatting you WM I promise) I was really thinking about going with an Aero upper for the port cover, but 1) can't argue with the Anderson price, and 2) if I have to enlarge the port opening to aid ejection, the cover may not latch.

Going to get an 8.5 inch barrel from a company called Kaw Valley Precision. Their barrels are made by Faxon.

I'M realllllly eyeing the GearHead Works Tailhook Mod 2. As a complete tube, and brace assembly 200 bucks seems reasonable.

Trigger and forend will probably be from ALG. KNS pins, flatwire buffer spring. Buffer to be defermined

I'm really eyeing the JP Enterprises bcg and silent capture spring combo for 9mm. Little pricey but I'm gonna shoot this bitch a lot. And I'm worth it. Just sent in my bcg back to AIM Surplus.

Alg act will go in my trigger group. It's amazing in my other one and the lighter spring hasn't had any light primer hits on my first build with 300 rounds.

Magpul bad lever

Extended mag release

Sucks I have to toss on the thordsden stock but the gen 3 is better looking and I can change the LOP.

Got in my Wilson arms 16" barrel. One I got for the first build was on the money.

The tailhook gen 2 is interesting.

I have the gen1 on my 9mm AR. Well made, but in reality, is a little expensive for what it is.

I'm still glad that I have it though. It's well designed and made.

UPDATE: The kids and I had a range day with a number of guns including the PSA AR-9. Put about 200-300 rounds through it. No FTE or FTF were noted except for a couple occasions where the magazine was not inserted completely (not me! ;)). The kick was similar to a .223 AR.

The Glock-compatible magazines seemed to function well, and are from ETS (etsgroup.us). They are 31-rounders and picked up in a "package" from PSA. We had 2 in the rotation and I think I paid about $10 each in quantity. Of note is that there were only 25 rounds loaded as that is half of a box of ammo and was just more convenient for the kids to load. A Glock loading sleeve helped with that... The mags also functioned perfectly in a G26 that was in the rotation.

Before the trip I installed MBUS sights. The MBUS were dialed in near perfectly as received from PSA (bought on sale for $50 inc. S/H) and the kids were nailing cans on the plinking range from 75' no problem.

I also converted a spare A2 grip into an A1 but a Hogue grip (without raised backstrap) will be going on soon.

The last mod planned will be replacing the "regular" AR upper with a 9mm version. I hope the handguard matches the new upper... The FA is superfluous in this gun with the bolt used and the upper will simply be used for a different build. I picked the upper up from Thunder Guns in Daytona (thundergunsar.com). I was there picking up some anodizing from their sister company DEC. Also got a few other goodies! :D (300BO 16" w/FH, adj. GB, carb tube, anodized U/L 80s) Great group of people to deal with! :)

ar9a.jpg
ar9c.jpg
uppylowies.jpg

Last edited:
Back