• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

A Tale Of Two Mossberg Models......I Can't Understand!

Own an older Model 500 pump I've had for about 30 years now, nothing fancy, has a 28" modified choke barrel, I also picked up a slug barrel for it years ago. Typical average bird gun. Haven't shot many clays with it, nor much bird hunting, but used it extensively for whitetails when I lived in upstate NY years ago and rifles were prohibited for deer hunting.

Nearly three years ago, picked up an SPX 930 Blackwater edition for home defense, figuring my first Mossy 500 lasted me this long without any problems and the brand is very affordable when compared to other manufacturers. Had a few minor glitches right out the box that where easily remedied with some help from Joe Zahker, Orgun, Frog Lube, and GG&G, and it has been flawless ever since, eating up even some of the lightest and cheapest target loads.

Well, yesterday was the first time I took them BOTH to my range where we have a nice wobble trap that you can shoot solo, and shot 3 boxes of 25 out of each gun of Federal Target Loads #8 Shot. Seemed like I could not hit jack with the 500 (maybe 30-40%), a designated bird gun, but hammered them with the 18" open cylinder barrel Blackie (about 80-90%). This is what I cannot for the life of me understand!! It's not supposed to work this way! Could it be the XS ghost ring sight on the Blackie vs the bead upfront with no rear sights on the 500? Or could it be I feel more comfortable with the Blackie's pistol grip vs the traditional grip on the 500?

Up until now, I've been contemplating a Silver Reserve II for designated clay shooting, so at least I will look similarly equipped as the clay buster boys in my range club. But if I shoot a SR II like my old 500, I guess I'll just stick with what I've got.........Guess the best thing for me to do is to see if I can give an SR II a good trial run.......and then decide. :brick:

You shooting with both eyes open with the 500 pump? Maybe the less weight of the 930 allowed you to swing it faster?

I prefer my OU for clay shooting but I did well with my 930 with the 24" turkey barrel with IC choke.

Yeah, I shoot with both eyes off the bead on the 500. The shorter, lighter 930 seems to feel better ergonomically suited to me, and seems if you can quickly pickup the clay in the ghost ring, it's as good as shattered.

Basically shooting clays you point your shotgun at the target and "feel" lead, you dont aim it like a rifle. If you are doing everything right you dont see the shotgun or bead at all, the clay just shatters.

That's why clay shooting guns are "fit" to each person so the gun is mounted consistently to your cheek. Wherever your eyes are looking that's where the shotgun is going to shoot if mounted properly.

Seems like the 930 is fitting better to your body type. Or maybe you're not mounting the 500 properly for clay shooting. If you're looking at the bead while you are shooting you're doing it wrong.

Took me a while to break that habit. A few private lessons and I was breaking more clays and the targets "slowed down" because I was able to let go of worrying about the shotgun and was more focused on acquiring the target with both eyes.

Basically shooting clays you point your shotgun at the target and "feel" lead, you dont aim it like a rifle. If you are doing everything right you dont see the shotgun or bead at all, the clay just shatters.

That's why clay shooting guns are "fit" to each person so the gun is mounted consistently to your cheek. Wherever your eyes are looking that's where the shotgun is going to shoot if mounted properly.

Seems like the 930 is fitting better to your body type. Or maybe you're not mounting the 500 properly for clay shooting. If you're looking at the bead while you are shooting you're doing it wrong.

Took me a while to break that habit. A few private lessons and I was breaking more clays and the targets "slowed down" because I was able to let go of worrying about the shotgun and was more focused on acquiring the target with both eyes.

A very good answer my friend.

That's why GRs are so effective- you put the target inside the "haze" ring. If you have the target behind the block that is the front post, you've (generally) got proper lead.

That's why GRs are so effective- you put the target inside the "haze" ring. If you have the target behind the block that is the front post, you've (generally) got proper lead.

I don't know. If they were that effective for clays the top guys shooting competition clays would have them installed.

Standard set up is mid bead and front bead on a clay gun.

There's a "middle-ground". If you're shooting for the game, or if all you shoot are birds, yes, dual-beads are the standard (I'm no clays shooter or bird hunter, but even I can do pretty well with them). For multi-scenario shooting, IME, the GRs really shine. Granted, the set-up through which you have 100K rounds will respond best for you.:)

Thanks for the insight, guys on what I might be doing wrong while shooting my 500. Next time I shoot it (at clays), I'll try to concentrate on looking down the barrel and try to forget about the bead.

Back