• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AAC Nickel Boron Bolt Carrier group review

cockedNlocked

Product Review Manager
Staff member
Hello guys and gals, I am building a project rifle for Mossbergowners.com and I started picking out parts. I found a really good deal on an AAC (Advanced Armament Corp.) M-16 FA bolt carrier group in Nickel Boron.

Retails for $199.95

Specs
Finally Advanced Armament Corp. is proud to make available the IBCG (Improved bolt carrier group)! Full-Auto M16 style carrier: Coated with a patented Nickel Boron (Ni-B) UCT EXO process for unmatched wear resistance and lubricity on a molecular level. It is not to be confused with conventional Ni-B coatings. AAC proprietary cam pin and travel path for lightning fast operation. Ensuring no leakage is a properly staked carrier key with Permatex® gasket-seal compound applied between key and carrier. Bolt and extractor: Carpenter 158® bolt Proprietary upgraded green o-ring tested to -40 degrees F. Improved extractor spring design ensuring longest possible life. Custom 300 ksi S2 tool steel extractor pin.
(excerpt from AAC website)

Fits 223/556 and 300 blk out

In the past I have strictly used BCM and Daniel Defence bolt carriers, both are parkerize finished and HP/MP tested. From my understanding, the AAC IBCG is not HP tested. I believe I had heard them saying there was no reason to put the bolt carrier through the stress of as HP testing. (I will explore this further). The carrier is also an M-16 Full Auto Carrier. I'm excited to put this bolt carrier group through a variety of tests, and see how it performs. This tests will include evaluating its functionality, and the ease of cleaning. Below are some sample pictures.

DSC_3162 by ACFOTOLABS, on Flickr

The bolt carrier group is quite slick and you can feel the lubricity, even without any oil on it.

DSC_3173 by ACFOTOLABS, on Flickr

The carrier comes with all the standard parts that a normal carrier comes with.The bolt itself, is not Nickel Boron coated but the cam pin is. Also, the firing pin seems to be chromed, which will help aid cleaning as well.

DSC_3176 by ACFOTOLABS, on Flickr

DSC_3183 by ACFOTOLABS, on Flickr

Love the logo on the side of the carrier.

DSC_3192 by ACFOTOLABS, on Flickr

The gas key is properly staked per milspec.

Looks to be a great upgrade for your standard carrier or if you are starting a new build, going to be easier to clean and run longer with out maintenance.

Last edited:
don't be scared of DPMS bolts , rock solid milspec bolt....even comes with an Oring. No one can even site the reason Defense Procurement Manufacturing Services got a bad rap but they been contracting for the military since '80's and held on to them, you don't do that with crap paarts. Bad crap comes from even the most top shelf companies.....enjoy your new bolt cattier group, looks good.

My first AR was built with a DPMS bolt which has since had a nickle boron process applied to it. It's been flawless.

The project started with some manufacturers that I have met over the years with SHOT show and we finally decided to demo some new parts. Unfortunately being from NY its a royal pain to register a new AR so we will be using a lower receiver that we already had.

Ah, ok.

Can you post up any further details or will you wait until the project is complete and ready to go?

The project started with some manufacturers that I have met over the years with SHOT show and we finally decided to demo some new parts. Unfortunately being from NY its a royal pain to register a new AR so we will be using a lower receiver that we already had.
I think being from NY is a good thing, has nothing to do with the assholes that think they know what's best for you, many great people , ideas and things originated in NY

I do love being a New Yorker but it has gotten too liberal for my liking.

LES we will post up more to follow as we get an idea who will be contributing what.

Back