• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Academic study finds background checks don't work

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/bethb...e-said-all-along-the-background-chec-n2536437

exerpts:
The Violence Prevention Research Program (VPRP) at UC Davis and the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health conducted a study about the impact California's gun control laws have had on homicide and suicide rates over the last 10 years. And guess what? Researchers found that the Golden State's gun control laws had absolutely no impact. And, even more surprising, the study's lead researcher found that the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) is severely flawed.

Specifically, researchers said they saw a 10.9 percent decrease in firearm suicide rates during the time period, but they saw a similar decrease in suicides across the board, including those without a firearm. This suggests that something other than background checks and waiting periods played a role in the drop.

Even though some gun owners have issues with the NICS system, we need to be realistic. It's not going anywhere. Gun control advocates won't allow that to happen. It's implemented and it's here to stay. If it's going to be in place then we need to do everything in our power to make sure it's as wholesome as possible.

If they know that their convictions will be in the system, criminals won't try to purchase guns legally. The black market is a completely different story though.

Color me shocked...not. Wellllllll. I guess I am a little shocked. Shocked that any "academics" would ever admit such a thing. Take care. Tom Worthington

The reason that fewer people are getting shot and committing suicide in California is due to changes in the other laws here.

It's not because of gun control, as Californians own more guns than ever before, and are buying them at an increasing rate.

It's not because people are getting richer in California and it's not because the media have turned down the hate rhetoric on our population, and people have calmed down.

The drug laws and the assisted-suicide laws have changed both of those things. Gun related marijuana violence and gun suicides are down but opioid death/suicides are up.

(Really in my opinion most every opioid-related death is a suicide or a murder.)

Back