• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Accu choke problem

All,

I went to pattern the 930 today and noticed a deformity on the full choke tube. Has anyone seen a machining problem like this before?

It looks like the choke tube would catch the plastic wad coming down the barrel and possibly make for a bad day at the range. I'm hoping Mossberg will replace it as the Full choke tube hasn't been used yet.

Attachments

• 2015 MB 930 choke 004 rev1.jpg
    2015 MB 930 choke 004 rev1.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 27
Looks like it got dropped or something. I wouldn't use it if it's enough of a lip to catch your finger on it.

Looks like it got dropped or something. I wouldn't use it if it's enough of a lip to catch your finger on it.[/QUOTH
Here's a magnification of the FULL choke tube where it looks like there is a machining problem. The FULL choke tube was oily so I wiped it off with a paper towel before taking the picture. You can see where the towel caught the imperfections in the choke tube.2015 MB 930 choke 004 rev2.jpg

I guess I've never really taken time to really examine my tubes, maybe I should start. I think it's really up to you whether or not to use it. The worst thing that could happen is having the shot hit the lip and deform the choke leaving it jammed in the barrel. Seeing as how they're only like $20 I wouldn't take a chance if it was enough of a noticeable problem to bring it up on here.

Ordinarily I would say just file it off and use it but it looks like the entire edge is poorly machined or they forget to run the edges through the deburring tool. I would see what OFM has to say about it.

I would not be as concerned about issues with patterning as i would issues it may cause with the threads in the barrel if you were try and force it in there.

Ordinarily I would say just file it off and use it but it looks like the entire edge is poorly machined or they forget to run the edges through the deburring tool. I would see what OFM has to say about it.

I would not be as concerned about issues with patterning as i would issues it may cause with the threads in the barrel if you were try and force it in there.

Scotty B and Mike D,

Thanks for the feedback. I did send an email to OFM (service@mossberg.com) but haven't heard back from them.........yet.

Any idea on how long it takes to resolve minor issues like this w/ OFM service?

In a pinch, use a jeweler's file to gently clean it up. Go easy on the bore side...just enough so it is flush. I agree, though--new gun/choke should be prettier than that! :rolleyes: How do the other tubes look? I can't vouch for ANY tubes but if you will be working the gun maybe invest in a set of "nice" aftermarket tubes?

How'd you do the macro? Work in a lab or something? ;)

In a pinch, use a jeweler's file to gently clean it up. Go easy on the bore side...just enough so it is flush. I agree, though--new gun/choke should be prettier than that! :rolleyes: How do the other tubes look? I can't vouch for ANY tubes but if you will be working the gun maybe invest in a set of "nice" aftermarket tubes?

How'd you do the macro? Work in a lab or something? ;)
The other tubes look great. The big chunk of metal on the FULL choke tube made me pay more attention to any other problems w/ the tube. I'm hoping that OFM will cover this under the warranty since the gun is so new. If OFM just sends me another choke tube I'll try the jewelers file to clean up all of the imperfections.

No I don't work for a lab but Santa was good to me in 2014. I've been wanting a camera lens like this for a while. It comes in real handy when trying to get close up shots.

Back