• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Accurate 12 ga. Slug Suggestions

NoImpactNoIdea

Supporter
I value any suggestions for accurate slug ammo. Use is hogs & deer out of a 22" smooth bore.
100yds
150yds
Any distance you have experienced.

Last edited:
Smooth bore slug accuracy over 100 yds is pushing the envelope for any slug, but I'd recommend Brenneke. They have the best selection and by most accounts, the best long range accuracy and penetration in 2 3/4" and 3" smoothbore slugs. Download the catalog for more detailed performance info: http://www.brennekeusa.com/cms/brennekeammunitioncatalogue.html?&L=0 onfocus=blurLink(this)

You can also find several videos on Youtube of Brenneke products.

I use the 12gauge 2 3/4" Green Lightning. Typical range for me around here is 50-75yds and these have been very accurate and consistent performers.

They aren't cheap, and not many places stock them, but you can have your local gun shop order Brenneke slugs for you, which is what I do.

Thanks GunnyGene, I'll study up using those resources. Good to know on the 100yds. Might have to check up on rifled barrel options. Semper Fi

Gunny is correct that Brenneke makes a really fine slug. Really fine. I love 'em.

In a soft lead foster slug the hands down winner in accuracy is (IMHO) the Federal Tru-Ball load.

Thanks GunnyGene, I'll study up using those resources. Good to know on the 100yds. Might have to check up on rifled barrel options. Semper Fi

PS: Brenneke's claim to fame is in their terminal ballistics. They use a harder lead than Foster style and therefore don't "pancake" on tough critters like big hogs (or engine blocks), which means penetration is much superior.

I hunt with a rifled slug gun. I also have a smooth bore. The bore loves federal 1 oz fosters. My rifled barrel loves the hell outta of Remington Accutips. Damn near a one hole shooter at a hundred yards shooting off a lead sled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Brenneke for smooth bore, they have been the most accurate of any I have tried to date.

I decided to get a Mossberg 24" rifled bore (93010) accessory barrel for my 930. Seems no e-tailer has stock. Calling Mossberg tommorrow.

Brenneke.
But if you really like a big bore, try out the 45-70. It will smack down anything just like a Brenneke slug, but gives you a lot more distance to shoot at. Ammo is a little pricey.

Back