• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Acog issue

Towmaster21

.270 WIN
So I finally got enough saved up to buy a Trijicon Acog 3X30 for my Sig 556R. The only things that come in the box, new from the factory, was a sticker and some Trijicon sales brochure. So I mounted it up on the rifle and took it out to the range today. Set up a target at the 25 yard post and let loose a round. Nothing, not even a hit on the back drop. Long story short I worked with the elevation and windage and still nothing. After burning through a few rounds I gave up and came home. Come to find out through the Trijicon website they zero them at 100 meters (109 yards). Needless to say I felt kind of stupid and now have the question of how do I get the elevation and windage back to the Trijicon factory settings so I can attempt to sight it back in again at 100 yards.

Count your clicks stop to stop. Divide by 2 and click from one stop that many. Should get you on paper, then go from there.

Always keep track of your clicks in your range book.

Yes, the factory setting should be the middle of the adjustment range.

Or find a hillside and place a target on it and stand back and see where the rounds are hitting and go from there.

Just know that 223 shoots in a rainbow arc trajectory.

I have heard both good and bad about those guns.

How has yours been?

Towmaster21 said:
Its a TA33-8 The platform I have it mounted on is 7.62X39

Part of your problem is that the reticle on the TA33-8 is calibrated for .223 ammunition. The hash marks are calibrated for .223 bullet drop, but even the mechanical zero (100yd) will only be true for .223. The 7.62x39 round is slower, heavier, with a different ballistics coefficient, trajectory, etc. That's not to say that you can't use the optic, but your zero when mounting on a 7.62x39 rifle will likely be in the lower range of adjustment. Trijicon does offer 3x30 TA33 calibrated for 7.62x39 under model number TA33A-13...

Well damn, I was afraid of that issue with the 7.62X39, but I have plenty of .223 guns that I could mount that on. My original plan was to put an Aimpoint on the 7.62...might have to go back with that original idea. As far as the Sig platform goes, I have been happy with it. Only run a magazine or two through it but over all it functions well and the ergonomics are great.

Back