• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Adding Reflex Sight

JnyQst

.22LR
I have a 930 SPX. My brother in law gave me a Reflex Sight for Christmas. I wanted to see about putting it on my 930. The rear sight is not a problem but what do I do about the front sight? I had already had thoughts about seeing if it could be taken off & putting a flip up sight on the front. I have a rifle carrier on an atv that when I try putting the 930 in, it wont fit because of the front sight. Anyone else have these thoughts or issues? Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!
JQ

Note: I know I could take it to a gunsmith but I'm saving for a .308 build so I'm trying to see if there is anything that I can do myself. Plus I like to try & do things myself so I can learn.
Thanks again!
JQ

Use the red dot to co-witness the front sight. If it's too tall for that, use a lower third co-witness. With a lower third, you can still use the iron sights without having to remove the optic if it dies. Look up co-witness on youtube if you're unfamiliar. I wouldn't remove either of the sights. The front sight is made for a shotgun so if you remove it, you will have destroyed the resale value of the gun if you decide to go in another direction AND if you add an AR-15 sight, you'll never be able to get it zeroed. AR sights will shoot about a foot low for close-quarters on a shotgun even with the front sight lowered all the way down.

In case you were wondering about changing the barrel; a new barrel would cost about $200. You could get a used 500 pump for that. Don't make any permanent modifications and if you decide you want to go in another direction, sell the 930 and buy a 500 or 590 with a bead sight that will fit in your ATV.

Thanks for responding, M930.
I'm going to heed your advice & not screw with the front site. I may get a flip up rear sight to co witness with the reflex sight. Thanks for pointing me to co witnessing. I will get a different holder for my atv.
Thanks again!
JQ

Just reread your first post & will leave both sights alone & just add the reflex sight to the two.
Thanks again!
JQ

Back