• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

ADJUSTABLE POWER: Hunting Scope Options

LAZY EYED SNIPER

Overwatch
Global Moderator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
Have any questions about Adjustable Power scopes for hunting? Is there a particular model you like to use? Let's see some pics and discussion...

Re: FIXED POWER: Hunting Scope Options

I use a Nikkon Prostaff 3-9x40 on my ATR. the ATR came with a 3-9x40 Bariska, so now have a back up if something happens to the Nikon.

The ATR that I got from Academy was not suppose to come with a scope because it had the reaper-buck camo, but Academy messed up and stated that it did come with a scope in one of theirs ad's so that is when I bought mine and they gave me a scope off of a regular ATR. I have been told that the Bariska scopes arn't all that great but it does have a very clear sight picture. I just dont know how well it holds up the the recoil. I might toss it on one of my .22lr's.

I think that was a wise decision to change out that Barska scope for something more dependable and reliable onto that ATR. Barska are VERY unreliable when you need them the most, and if you hunt, then you need it the most. Probably a $20 scope. 40 years ago, a $20 scope would of been a good one. I also have a Nikon on my ATR in 30-06, and it's brought down 2 big bucks. It's a Nikon Buckmaster---how's that for Irony.
Del

I have a Nikon Buckmasters scope as well. Mine is 4-14X40 with BDC reticle. Nikon makes a good scope, however they can cost a pretty penny.

I also just bought a 100ATR combo in .243 and the first time at the range I realized I wanted to swap out the scope. I have a KonusPro 3x9x40 on order for it.

I plan on hunting coyotes with my ATR in the catskills.....probably nothing over 100-150 yds.

It seemed a good deal at Midway....$125.00 scope for $75.00.

Does anybody know anything about Konus stuff?

Joe

I won't offer an opinion on either of these, as I have not used either brand of scope. For a decent low end I like Bushnell, not the lower tier but at least the next level up. I've had good luck with them. Next would be Nikon and then Leupold. Scopes are an item where you truely get what you pay for. I tried a cheap Tasco a few years back on a shotgun, one that was actually meant for shotguns, and the lenses fell out after one trip to the range. I spent a lot of time chasing the holes until I parts worked loose enough that I could tell what was happening.

The primary thing I look for in a hunting scope is light transmission. Getting those extra few minutes of light at the beginning and end of the day are what I like a scope for, esp with a relatively close range gun like like a smoothbore shotgun.

Next on my list is durability and the ability to hold zero.

Try to find reviews (independant, not feedback on retail sites) of each and try to get the best glass you can for the price.

Alright! Thank you for the input! I always get the "you get what you pay for" but I ma cheap when it comes to scopes.. which could be my problem! I blew out 4 Bushnell Banners on a .308 that didn't really kick at all...

I will look for a Nikon at a decent price

Nikon SlugHunter 1.65X5X36 mounted on my 930 SPX w PG and slug barrel with integral scope base. Took two bucks last year at a maximum range of about 150 yards.

http://www.nikonhunting.com/products/ri ... C_200/8445

I specifically chose the lower power because here in SoCal, we try to hunt everything from Pig to Deer. The lower power makes for extremely fast acquisition while not sacrificing the power needed for longer shots. Plus reasonably priced. Love it!

Paul

Itsricmo said:
Alright! Thank you for the input! I always get the "you get what you pay for" but I ma cheap when it comes to scopes.. which could be my problem! I blew out 4 Bushnell Banners on a .308 that didn't really kick at all...

I will look for a Nikon at a decent price

I've had trouble with the Banner line as well.

I used to be cheap with them as well but I keep getting better stuff with each new one I buy and I really see the difference.

You don't have to break the bank just try to get the best you can for your budget. Saving a little more to get the step above the cheap line that most companies offer will make a very noticible difference in lense copatings and durability. I keep my eyes open for sales as well, good quality can sometimes be had for less than full retail. :-D

Sportsmansguide has some good prices every now and again. I will just have to keep my eye out for that Nikon BDC Slugger on sale :)

Nikon scopes are my favorite.. I think they are very reasonable for the asking price anywhere... I initially bought a Monarch 2.5X10 BDC scope for my ATR100 but I've changed my mind and switched with a Prostaff 3X9 BDC Camouflage.. Now my ATR looks really good.. My Monarch which is an awesome scope will be on standy by until for the MVP 24" Varmint rifle or Maybe a CZ 527 in 223 flavor of course....... man I'm so confuse right now... LOL!

What can anyone tell me about the scope that comes on the deer thugs atr i just got one in 30-06 and was wondering do i need to replace it im kinda on a really tight budget right now can only afford something in $70 range and now that i dropped about 300 even after tax on that deer thugs its even shorter been looking at the centerpoint 4-16x40 with light up red/green crosshairs and ive seen alot of good stuff on it on forums but bad stuff also so im still not fully sold on it seems to be a hit or miss to whether or not its good but if its good then it seems to be well worth the money but then again i cant afford to have to buy something else becuase its no good need it for hunting any input would be helpful.

I don’t know if OFM uses the same scope for everything high power but my buddy got a Night Train in 308 and got a decent buck at 100 yards this season with the scope that came on it. It also has the illuminated reticle....seemed to work good enough to make something dead and it hasnt failed die to weather or recoil.

I believe they are Bushnell scopes, can't 100% guarantee it but that's what I think they are.
I had a Remington 770 in 30-06 that had the stock scope on it and it did just fine for what I needed it too do. No tac-driving but it was Minute of Soda Can @ 100 yds

I know it has nothing to do with Mossberg but it is just something to show for the Factory Scopes :)

Thanks for the input i wil just have to wait til i can get a day off and go put afew rounds down range and see how it works if it cant hold up then ill start looking for replacement no reason to fix something if it aint broke

I put a Nikon Prostaff 2-7X32 on my ATR. I was getting 6 inch groups at 100 yards with the factory equipped Barska. I now get 1 inch groups with the Nikon. They had a deal at Dicks sporting goods on the Nikon. It was $70 or $80 can't remember. I believe it also is listed as a shotgun scope, with 75 yards parallax. They were clearing out the old multi-coated models for the new fully multi-coated line.

I've hunted with tasco scopes since I started hunting. Honestly I've never looked through good glass until I was shooting my friends 30-06 with a Nikon scope. That's when I bought my Nikon for my .338 and started getting more into shooting reloading etc. I still have a tasco on my .243, .22, and my 30-30; but they are all goin in the garbage can ASAP.

Back