• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

ADJUSTABLE POWER: Target/Precision Shooting Scope Options

Re: ADJUSTABLE POWER: Target/Precision Shooting Scope Option

I'm new to long range optics so I have a question for you guys. I have a remington model 700 .30-06 that needs some new optics. my question is, what power scope would be recommended for about a 500 yard range. This is for hunting. my last deer was at 350 yards and through my 3-9x40 simmons I could just barely pray I was putting the bullet in the right spot. I knew I was in the right area of course but I just couldn't see the deer close enough to bee 100% I was in the heart. so some help is much needed!

A 4x16 would be a perfect optic IMO

At 4x, not too magnified so it's easier to get on target.

At 16x, there should be enough magnification to get ya to pretty well any distance given that the reticle is decent.

I like to think I've had extremely good fortune with NCStar.

I bought an NCStar SC2628B (2-6x28) with a set of UTG rings for $40 shipped

bkMFkik.jpg

I originally had it on my Crosman 1377 target pistol, where it did PHENOMENALLY well, especially on an airgun with a trigger pull comparable to dragging a derailed locomotive through a gravel quarry . . .

RgZmzkJ.jpg

I decided to put it on my 10/22, and I expected it to literally fall apart / cant / just break in general from recoil.

Not only has it held up perfectly fine, it holds zero and can consistently deliver a .22lr onto a 3" target at 100 yards.

I was very skeptical when I ordered it, but now I'm considering ordering another to put back on my target pistol.

Very nice!

You're not alone. I've got a few NcStar scopes mounted on .223/5.56 and .308 rifles and they've done well by me for the past few years. Never had a hiccup with any of them. Bought them with the intention of eventually replacing them with "better" optics down the road, but with the results I'm getting it doesn't seem necessary...

May as well post a few updated pics of the mini NCStar scope on my 10/22.

I suck at photography
ualHOh9.jpg

Those are Archangel mags in case you're wondering, and they're terrible.
YlNJJ11.jpg

Gotta have some silliness thrown in every now and then, I guess.
eHTamsn.jpg

I think I'm going to end up putting it back on the pistol, it doesn't offer quite enough magnification for the 10/22, but it's 'just right' for that pellet pistol and it's effective range.

In it's place I think I'm going to go with a UTG 3-9x32 "Bug Buster"

SWCL20L.jpg

First thing however is to replace the QD mounts it comes with with a solid Accushot mount.

UwOybrh.jpg

any opinion on first focal plane vs. second focal plane scopes for shooting 200+ yards, im working on longer distances with my Savage model 10, in .308 I would like to step up to a mil-dot reticle eventually so I can judge distance more accurately.

I decided I want to build a long range rifle out of my 10/22, so I ended up going overkill on my choice of scope.

zWAcbdV.jpg

Scope is a BSA 6-24x 44mm Mil-dot reticle.
I've looked at this scope before, but the $250 tag was just too high, despite it's good reviews from people putting them on everything from airguns to .308s.

When they went on sale for $130 I had to spring for one.

The goal for this rifle is "Squirrel MOA" at 200 yards.

All that it needs now is a Green Mountain 20" fluted stainless barrel, a better Bipod, and I need to finish up some more work on the internals, like putting a radius on the back of the bolt and some polishing of key components.

Nice!

I've had one of the UTG 3-9x32 "Bug Buster" scopes for a few years and it's been great...

I took the 10/22 to the range the other day just to play around and sight that scope in.

Got it zeroed, the bulk ammo I've been using is too inconsistent to keep a one-hole group though.

I was playing around with a ballistics calculator, and printed off some cards for various .22 loads I have.

They detail holdovers at various distances in Mil dots.

rpRlZVM.jpg

I cut them out and laminated them, and stuck them under the paracord holding my cheek riser on.

Let me say, I freakin' love these things.

I set a spent shot shell out at the 100 yard mark, lined up with the appropriate hold and nailed it first shot.

I spent the next two hours setting and shooting spent shells at distances from 25 to 160 yards, and let me say those cards are damn near SPOT ON for holdover every time!

I appreciate anyone who strives for an accurate shot.

Nicely done!

I use a similar chart for my larger calibers and it's definitely a leg up vs. going in blind and walking shots onto your target...

John A. said:
I appreciate anyone who strives for an accurate shot.

"Sometimes all you have is a bullet and a prayer; Don't miss."

One of my favorite quotes. :)

hi all not sure if i put this in the right topic area just bought my 22 tactical rifle with the carry handle which would be better for me to use a scope or laser site shooting from 25 out to 100 yds should i use a bore site to site it in or not thanks 3ranger :?

Hey ranger, you ever get a response? I honestly can't help and have no experience with your set up. Still curious though!

I wanted to add a couple cents to the discussion.

I recently (yesterday) had the opportunity to fire a DD M4 with a Burris Tac 30 variable 1-4 x ? It was mounted via the PEPR cantilever one piece mount. The scope was illuminated but not necessary with a visible reticle. I think it's called a donut reticle with a center dot. I believe when it's magnified it has the Christmas tree that becomes visible.

Sorry if some of this is vague but it isn't my scope and I had to do a little searching to find the model for a little more info on it before coming here, lol. I think I found the right one!

The reticle was PERFECT for 50 yards and hopefully I can try it out someday on the 100 or 200 yard range! ;)

That BSA 6-24 scope is the same as the Barska SWAT. My friend has one. For an el cheapo scope, it's not too terrible. It adjusts halfway well (notice the 'halfway', it's not accurate clicks) and the glass is clear enough up to about 15x. The mil dots are second focal plane and are accurate around 8x. Yep, the mil dots are only close to 1 mil with the power ring at the 8x setting. I've used cheap scopes and they can work fine. But if you're going to actually need more than 7 or 8 power, start bringing the cash. Because a decently clear scope in 5x is plenty fine for heart/lung shots on deer out to 500 yards. My other friend's little fixed 3x Nikon P223 scope is fine on deer out to 350 yds, no problem. Once you get beyond that range, you need to really start ranging accurately and your scope absolutely needs very precise elevation adjustments (not 'settling in' a shot after the adjustment, not moving the bullet 3/8" per click at 100y instead of the advertised 1/4"). And if using mils to range, you need an accurate reticle. Sooo, I feel my Nikon Buckmasters 4-14 mil dot is adequate for doing those jobs, but not the greatest tool for the job. It's 2nd focal plane so the mils are only accurate at 12x, but at 12x they are perfectly dead on (I checked with a poster board with marked lines at a measured 100y). It tracks wonderfully but is somewhat limited in total adjustment room. If you're going to regularly be taking shots at deer over 300-350 yards or so, my recommendation for a 'budget' mil scope that will do a fantastic job is the Weaver 3-15 tactical. It's $700, but you won't get a truly good scope for the task of regular long range hunting for much cheaper.

Any recommendations for a scope for my Colt LE6920? I see they have a sale going on with the Nikon AR Series but there's enough choices there alone to confuse me!
Primarily set up as a more close quarter setup currently with a Bushnell Red Dot but would like to be able to hit some gophers at long ranges if possible with the setup.
Some 3Gun attempts are probably in the plans as well..just local stuff.
Gene

Have you looked at the millet 1-4 designated marksmen donut scopes?

Or, I have a Bushnell trophy 4 reticle red dot for sale in the marketplace if you want to buy a cantilever mount and inexpensive flip to side magnifier.

Any recommendations for a scope for my Colt LE6920?
Primarily set up as a more close quarter setup currently with a Bushnell Red Dot but would like to be able to hit some gophers at long ranges if possible with the setup.
Some 3Gun attempts are probably in the plans as well..just local stuff.
Gene

Primary Arms 1-6 ACSS.

Little long, built tough.
Very positive turret clicks, finger adjustable .5 moa adjustments.
Glass is the best I’ve seen in any scope below 4-500 bucks.
It doesn’t gather light like top shelf scopes but it doesn’t detract either.
Daylight visible illumination but the black laser etched reticle is way better for day IMO.

[/URL
]

[URL=http://s45.photobucket.com/user/oli700/media/2a/IMG_0109_zpsace6ba7e.jpg.html]

On 1x it has less fisheye then most under the $1000 mark.
In fact it’s hard to touch a decent 1-6 under a grand. I consider this scope better than decent.
I mostly run Leupold on all my hunting rifles, even the pistols I have had/have I use Leupold and good ones at that so I have that to compare against.

As you can see 1x is very very close to true 1x with very little fisheye, better in person

The reticle is amazing….not super precision but I have actually shot some great groups with it.
It is designed to get lead on target from 8 to 800 yards very quickly if the correct velocity ammo is used and even if you have under the ideal FPS it still works, they give you a table to adjust for that but with the correct velocity it is literally thoughtless as far as math.
Very much a fighting scope first and foremost.

The ranging is spot on.

Two ways to range, on the tree the horizontal lines are put against average shoulder width. If the shoulders match the line then that’s the yards out.

The vertical range on the right is for if you don’t have a square look at shoulders, put the bottom of the target on the bottom line and where the top comes in on the closest line is the yards out.
I have tested this several times against a laser range finder and it is spot on.
The dots next to the tree are 5mph cross wind holds

I think it would be excellent for 3 gun. Some might think the eye box is tight on 6x but on 6x you’re posted up so it doesn’t seem that way to me.
Run and gun on 1x is almost red dot but not quite that forgiving, I don’t think any scope can really be as forgiving as a red dot.

Snap shooting double taps at 10 yards on 1x using the horseshoe, probably pulling the trigger a little soon trying to be quick

500 yards

Through a 60x spotting scope, shot on 6x with under powered reloads, slightly gusty wind and my scope was mistakenly mounted with a slight right leaning cant....fixed since this

I recently developed this load that matches ideal ACSS velocity requirements and my accuracy goals.
I have yet to get it out long but I think I am going to be very pleased.
This was shot from a bench at 100 yards, no wind, sand bag rest so the ACSS will shoot well and not just center mass but encroaching on precision.
Mind you this is just FMJ, I have had comments from reputable marksmen that it is a good group through an AR for match ammo so….it’s going to work good

[/URL]

Wow, great info and write up there! I've looked at some things on PA's site...will have to look a bit more!

I'm in the market for a good long range scope and have been ed-ja-ma-cating myself on all the new features as well as refamiliarizing with the basics. Prices are higher than I would have expected but then again isn't everything?

I came across this handy reference and thought I'd pass it along.
http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/...scopes-buyers-guide-and-features-to-look-for/

To me, it has some great info for a potential scope buyer. One thing I'm not sure of is when is enough enough? "Save a few more dollars to get the next level"...well, if I get to the next level and save a few more dollars I may be able to get to the level after that. And the features...Mil-dot vs MOA, Zero Lock, side parallax adjustment, first focal vs second focal plane, etc, etc. It's enough to cause you to pull some hair out.

But, after looking at the Nightforce scopes, I think I'm going to go with one of their models...just not sure the exact one yet. Expensive, especially for putting it on a Rem 700 .243, but it may move to a different platform later. Crazy considering it is almost as expensive as the Savage Lapua .338 with a Millett scope I was looking at (coworker selling if anyone is interested ;)) but passed on.

Back