• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

AK47 and Variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya know, I guess I'd feel a lot different if I'd captured one in Asia and smuggled it home as a souvenir. :cool:

But to go buy one there's no attraction, or at least almost none and that goes for all Russian products.
Chinese, Yugoslav or whatever . . .:oops:

BTW when I found out my new Springfield was made in Croatia, that was depressing.

There are always US made AK's if it makes you feel warmer and fuzzier inside.

DDI is making a fine example. And made in one of my favorite places. Knoxville, TN. They also hire a lot of US Veterans. Great company.

http://www.ddiarms.com/

I don't really hate Russians.

But I sure hate the idea of going to Sears and buying clothes from Russia.
And what's the deal that we can't make decent arms, and we buy our Army Berettas from the Italians?

Sure it's good stuff, the XDs is good stuff too.
But WTF is wrong with us that we don't make the best stuff here?

My pride is wounded.
I hear ya

we make good pistols too, S&W, Colt, Ruger, Springfield

But IMO Americans are riflemen through and through......we have the best fighting rifles IMO. They all work but Americans demand one thing the others don't , above battle accurate fighting rifles, always have and always will .......aimed fire

There are always US made AK's if it makes you feel warmer and fuzzier inside.

DDI is making a fine example. And made in one of my favorite places. Knoxville, TN. They also hire a lot of US Veterans. Great company.

http://www.ddiarms.com/

Century also makes some here in the US, and this company http://www.awsfirearms.com/ just popped up recently, my LGS is going to be a dealer. Greenwood is only about an hour from me. It appears theyre stamping their own receivers. Not sure what parts kits they're using. I need to dig a little deeper into them.

M or D variant.

Both models accept AK mags.

And what's the deal that we can't make decent arms, and we buy our Army Berettas from the Italians?

Part of the D.O.D. contract bid stipulations state that any firearm submitted for U.S. military trials must be manufactured in the United States. Beretta U.S.A. was formed and opened their U.S. production facility in Accokeek, MD back in the 80's. They are now in the process of moving production here to TN in the face of MD's ridiculous firearms legislation. Glock, SIG Sauer, H&K, etc, all have U.S. based subsidiaries that product firearms here and create jobs for Americans...

so I have been on a spree, shot in the ball park of 2000 rounds in the last 6 weeks of just my ammo......been going with folks from work and hooking them on the fun. They been building or buying AR's for the most part over the winter, as soon as they shoot mine its over for them.

So today we all left work at 12 , joined the guys from our other unit hit the woods.
One guy from the sister unit finally came out......an AK guy.

But not any AK guy, he builds them. He fell into it in a weird way. He has always been an AK guy, he bought a big box of AK parts.....I am talking a big wood crate. In that box was AK receivers unbeknownst to him . Long story short he got an FFL and all the shit to build AK's, and boy is it a lot of shit.

So I got to get behind 5 AK's of different styles, grande launcher....pretty fun.

However, I got to put 300 rounds through an RPK.

I got to say that is one hell of a sweet weapon. It really didn't weigh too much for what it looked like. It had a good trigger , shot real smooth and about no recoil. I helped him sight it in and it was decent, great bipod system......you can really lean on it dont really care for the hook up to the barrel but who cares its not a tack driver

That thing lay down some fire !

11 of us shoot together now when every one can show up between the two units , crap load of handguns,13 AR's, 6 AK's, 1 SKS and one bad ass RPK...

That seems like the makings for a great time.

We have a similar group that gets together on my buddy's farm for a few days at a time with a huge variety of firearms. Great fun and great memories...

That seems like the makings for a great time.

We have a similar group that gets together on my buddy's farm for a few days at a time with a huge variety of firearms. Great fun and great memories...
never any pics either with all that going on , last time I took like 3...this time was funny everyone trying to scramble to take pics at the end, I said screw it i had the most stuff to pack, got 6 target stands these days......need more steel i think these original AR500 plates are done

So I got to get behind 5 AK's of different styles, grande launcher....pretty fun.

I got to say that is one hell of a sweet weapon. It really didn't weigh too much for what it looked like. It had a good trigger , shot real smooth and about no recoil.

You wanna know something funny, the triggers on both of my AK's are better than even the CMC flat bow trigger.

There is a reason for that. It's the overall design of how the trigger/hammer works. The trigger essentially has a bar built onto it that "hooks" over the hammer and slides out of the way to release the hammer. This can be polished and can basically be made very smooth and almost effortless.

My ALG trigger in my Romanian will actually take you by surprise when it releases. Hard to explain, but very easy to notice when you're behind it.

At the distances that I shoot, my AK's are really about as accurate as any of my other guns. But where they really shine is when they hit their mark. There is a lot of good that can be said for the platform and the round as well.

I know that a lot of folks have put down AK's for decades, but if you're a shooter and spend some time behind one, doesn't take you very long to see where their strong points are. And it is easy to embrace it.

ineresting because the AK builder was wowing over my CMC.....

If I were you I would contact CMC, Jack is the owner ..... jack@cmctriggers.com
tell him your AK47 triggers feel better than your CMC 3.5# flat bow ......did you ever think there could be something up with your CMC ?preatty good sign you got there, worth am email or phone call

anyway it was really the RPK I fell in love with , the AK's were AK's .....really cool but nah

never any pics either with all that going on , last time I took like 3...this time was funny everyone trying to scramble to take pics at the end, I said screw it i had the most stuff to pack, got 6 target stands these days......need more steel i think these original AR500 plates are done

Yup, I think we have two pics from all the times we have gone out there. Just too busy shoot'n...

I always wanted an AK platform rifle made where it originated by the folks with the most experience making them; and that meant Russian.

So back in July of 2014 I bought a Saiga IZ132 made at Izhmash/Izhevsk...

EDC20002_zpst6jebmxc.jpg

10 days after I bought it Obama banned the import and sale of Russian-made firearms; and for the next several months I saw Russian-made Saigas like mine selling for 4 times what I paid for it all over the internet.

I'd like to be able to say I saw the ban coming and bought it for that reason; but in all honesty it was just a fortunate coincidence.

I left the sporter/hunting stock on it so I could still hunt with it if I wanted to in those locales that forbid hunting with pistol-grip rifles; but by changing the forend, magazine, and follower to U.S. made, it became 922r compliant and legal to take those 30-round mags.

I always wanted an AK platform rifle made where it originated by the folks with the most experience making them; and that meant Russian.

So back in July of 2014 I bought a Saiga IZ132 made at Izhmash/Izhevsk...

EDC20002_zpst6jebmxc.jpg

10 days after I bought it Obama banned the import and sale of Russian-made firearms; and for the next several months I saw Russian-made Saigas like mine selling for 4 times what I paid for it all over the internet.

I'd like to be able to say I saw the ban coming and bought it for that reason; but in all honesty it was just a fortunate coincidence.

I left the sporter/hunting stock on it so I could still hunt with it if I wanted to in those locales that forbid hunting with pistol-grip rifles; but by changing the forend, magazine, and follower to U.S. made, it became 922r compliant and legal to take those 30-round mags.
I like that forend set up much better than ones I was shooting , well any of them , that one looks like it is a little cooler on the hand and looks like it has some room to stretch out some.....

I like that forend set up much better than ones I was shooting , well any of them , that one looks like it is a little cooler on the hand and looks like it has some room to stretch out some.....
Yeah, it's Tapco/Intrafuse; very comfortable and well-made, and fits perfectly... no movement or sounds.

It's also simple to install yourself, but there are some great Youtube vids to walk you through it if you're having a problem.

Comes with 3 rails, preset holes, and the hardware to attach them if you want; but I left them off mine because I'm more of an iron sight guy anyway, especially with a carbine like this that I don't intend to shoot from too far out.

If you're interested you can check it out more here http://tapco.com/products/saiga/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=155 ; but if you end up wanting to buy one, you can find them elsewhere for a lot less than what Tapco charges... got mine on Amazon for $32.

I have one of my AK's set up much like the one in the bottom pic with the guy standing in green.

Only gun I have with a scout type setup.

I admit that I'm not very fond of having to mount the dot so far forward.

But with a lack of other places to attach it, and without removing the rear irons or getting a cheapo scope mount that sits a half a mile above the receiver, what are you gonna do?

I have one of my AK's set up much like the one in the bottom pic with the guy standing in green.

Only gun I have with a scout type setup.

I admit that I'm not very fond of having to mount the dot so far forward.

But with a lack of other places to attach it, and without removing the rear irons or getting a cheapo scope mount that sits a half a mile above the receiver, what are you gonna do?
that rifle hits well. I could hit any gong quick with it with in 100 yards , follow up shots not so pretty but they were in effective diameter ......that dot was kinda big for the size of the glass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back