• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

All purpose gun

Got an email from the company doing the threading that stated the barrel would be getting cut/threaded this week. The email was mostly due to the fact that I didn't mention how long to make the threads, so I told him anything between .500 and .625" would be adequate for my purposes, especially considering how much shoulder is going to be there once the barrel is turned down.

One step closer. And looks like will probably be in plenty of time for modern gun :)

trailcam 72814 189.JPG

Got the rebound tracking number of the barrel now. Hopefully it'll be back home by Saturday with any luck.

nef003_zps181cdf9f.jpg

I always thought that I liked Handi-Rifles......... until now...

Jeezus Christ that is an awesome rifle.

Now I sorta dislike mine.

You guys are too kind.

I was putting it in the safe and looked at how bare the threads looked leaning up against the metal, so I decided that I would throw an A1 9mm flash hider on it to serve as a thread protector. I don't expect that it will be needed as a flash hider given the length of the barrel and the powder burn rate, but it matches the contour of the barrel really well and I think it looks pretty natural on there.

So when it isn't wearing a muzzle to quieten the bark, I think I'll leave it on there.

nef005_zps0fe94c3e.jpg

If the SHTF and you had to grab it in haste its not a bad thing exactly to have the muzzle protected. That turned out nice and looks like a very handy tool to have available. Enjoy it.

If the SHTF and you had to grab it in haste its not a bad thing exactly to have the muzzle protected. That turned out nice and looks like a very handy tool to have available. Enjoy it.

And the main reason why I wanted to put something on to keep the threads from getting dinged and marred up.

The biggest reason that I wanted to set it up the way I have is so the youngest generation in my family can start out small and work their way up with it. I think that would make it mean more to them one of these days when they inherit it. Especially since it's already been past down once.

They may not remember Elzo very well by that time rolls around, or may not have even been born in time to have known him at all. But as they learn gun safety with that gun, and how to shoot, how to clean and hunt and track and respect for all living things, and ethics and integrity, there will be more placed in their hand than a hunk of wood and metal. And I look forward to teaching them those things Lord willing that he gives me the time to.

Finally had some time to take the rifle out and try it out and zero the scope this evening. I was pleasantly surprised that both the 38 and 357 shot nearly the same zero at the distance that I'll probably be using it while hunting, so I won't have to adjust the scope between the two cartridges. POA/POI is close enough that I set it and will forget it. :D

I think it sounds a lot better without "the boom" personally :)

I don't have a chrony, but the box says that it's about 810 fps, but with the 16 inch barrel will probably gain at least another 200 fps. Still below subsonic levels, but judging by the sound of it in person, barely and may be trying to push it.

The 357 is probably upwards of 1750 fps, so it's going to have plenty of sonic crack, but is still comfortable to shoot without muffs, and you can certainly tell by the authority of the gong smack that it means business.

I think it'll be plenty for whitetail. At least in the brush where I will be hunting.

From where I set up, is probably a little less than 30 yards to the deer trail and not much difference in distance from where I was standing to the gong in the video.

If I can ring the gong from where I was standing, I should be able to put it where it needs to go with that gun.

That is a sweet looking gun with that suppressor! :)

I had a couple NEFs 12ga, both with 26? barrels (originally), both with the neato "tiger-stripe" case-hardened receiver (like yours), both bought (at separate times) from the same pawn shop for $65ea. Sold one "as-is" for a profit (of course), had shortened the barrel of the other, then eventually installed the ATI stock and foreend. Sold the wood furniture for about $40 on Debay. Didn't really shoot them that much. Did shoot the shorty (with wood) with a few stray 3" rounds I had and MAN was that painful! :( Since sold the shorty for an offer I couldn't refuse.

We now have the Rossi youth matched pair shown. .22 is no problem but the .410 requires a slip-on pad on the tiny buttstock otherwise it is quite painful. Still have the 500, also...

Attachments

• shorties.jpg
    shorties.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 4
  • rossi2.jpg
    rossi2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 4
  • rossi3.jpg
    rossi3.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 5
  • twin4.jpg
    twin4.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 5
All 3 of my boys learned to hunt with the Rossi 22/410 youth.

Mine was bought probably around the 1999-2000 timeframe.

rossi010.jpg

I love how the overall length of your handy lil rifle is shorter than that shotgun's mag tube and buttstock lol.

All 3 of my boys learned to hunt with the Rossi 22/410 youth.

Mine was bought probably around the 1999-2000 timeframe.

I got ours a couple Christmas' ago, during a WM BF sale. $130 - $20 rebate... I think I did good! :p Got a couple 100pks of 12ga BS for $18ea and a "Fury" break-open Crosman? pellet gun for $68, since traded for a Chiappa M9-22 (long story about that gun and its replacement, a M4-22 :rolleyes:)

My 11yo son and 13yo daughter enjoy shooting .22s out of the Rossi. Accurate little gun. Fiber-optic sights took a bit of adjustment to get 'em right... Neither has been eager to shoot .410 out of it after seeing me wince the first time I shot it without the slip-on pad. :rolleyes: That small little buttstock puts a lot of pressure at a small location. It isn't too bad with the "small-sized" pad, $20 at WM.

My kids especially enjoy "flicking" the briskly ejected .22 cases at the other waiting shooter behind the firing line... :rolleyes: ;)

My daughter is already "big" for the gun and my son is due to have a "growth spurt" soon so the Rossi may fall deeper into the safe... :( Single-shot .22 HAS its advantages such as forced marksmanship (make the shot count) and ammo conservation.

I HAVE toyed with the idea of making a .410 lupara out of it if the SHTF... :cool:

Thanks Mikey !!

I think it's pretty unique.

Most of the newer guns these days mostly have plastic furniture on them. While that is often fine and dandy, there's just something to be said for a nicely finished wood stock that is just lacking these days.

Back