• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Aluminum Pusher, or how to while away the hours...

I would not grind away to much, a slight amount of rubbing probably isn't bad as long as you keep it lubed, My fear would be removing too much such that it floats too much and could end up tipping and pinching.

The cheap thin metal on they use on the hulls now will do that occasionally, they bulge too much because they are too hin then they tear upon extractions for the same reason.

I have not noticed that type of wear on the ejection port of my 930, but I use it primarily for hunting so might not have enough rounds through it to see it yet.

If you get this thing running flawlessly you may be getting a call from JM himself wanting one. LOL

YES!!! Awesome write-up and btw, Welcome Aboard! :) Now you need to mold a clear fore-end or machine holes into your existing so everyone can see the lovely but functional artwork you have created! :D I would guess your pusher would retail for $300 or so with the work you have into it... :eek: Maybe get it down to $200 with economies of scale... Anyone know how much the factory part costs? o_O (to put it into perspective)

Last edited:
So as of now, I'm pretty happy with the gun.
I had some light strikes on the very first outing after I bought it. But a Wolff spring seems to have sorted that right out.
It was a fun project. And I had a lot of fun making it.
Thanks for all the helpful input, and I hope you all enjoyed the read. :)

Completely unrelated to the subject at hand, I did notice it seems the forward edge of my ejection port is getting kind of beat up. Anyone else have that happen?

Your experience matches mine exactly. I have gone back to the stock pusher as, in my case (The PA my gunsmith made used steel rods and not aluminum), my PA caused more reliability issues. As for the bulged case heads, ALL of the brass shoot exhibit this. I have sent pics to Joe / Mosseberg, he reported their engineers did not see a problem just as long as the gun functioned fine. What i have noticed is that the Winchester brand (All shells of various lines) bulge worse than any other brands I have used (Federal, Rio, Estate, Fiocchi, Remington, Kent, ect). My gunsmith check my 930's headspace (was not there to witness, but I trust David Clay) was within factory specs. Another shooter at my club used a 930 and ditched it for this and other reasons.

The forward edge of the ejection port is beat up pretty bad on mine as well. Every so often, I tough it up with an emery cloth and alumi-black.

YES!!! Awesome write-up and btw, Welcome Aboard! :) Now you need to mold a clear fore-end or machine holes into your existing so everyone can see the lovely but functional artwork you have created! :D I would guess your pusher would retail for $300 or so with the work you have into it... :eek: Maybe get it down to $200 with economies of scale... Anyone know how much the factory part costs? (to put it into perspective)

Each time I call for replacements, I get two at no cost (I pay the shipping).

After I got home, and tore the weapon down, there were indeed signs of some rubbing. Although it didn't seem to have any detrimental effect on performance.

So, I made a few slight adjustments, and will see if that stops any rubbing next time I go to the range. Probably in a couple weeks.

Greg B,
THANKS for the great posting along w/ the pictures of the progress you made reproducing the pusher.
The rubbing on your magazine is nothing compared to the marks made by the stock Mossberg pusher on my 930.

On a side note what kind of pieces did you make for GS engines?

Your experience matches mine exactly. I have gone back to the stock pusher as, in my case (The PA my gunsmith made used steel rods and not aluminum), my PA caused more reliability issues. As for the bulged case heads, ALL of the brass shoot exhibit this. I have sent pics to Joe / Mosseberg, he reported their engineers did not see a problem just as long as the gun functioned fine. What i have noticed is that the Winchester brand (All shells of various lines) bulge worse than any other brands I have used (Federal, Rio, Estate, Fiocchi, Remington, Kent, ect). My gunsmith check my 930's headspace (was not there to witness, but I trust David Clay) was within factory specs. Another shooter at my club used a 930 and ditched it for this and other reasons.

The forward edge of the ejection port is beat up pretty bad on mine as well. Every so often, I tough it up with an emery cloth and alumi-black.

The shotgun shell will headspace on the rim of the shell. If you keep the buildup of oil, gunpowder residue, etc. from building up on the lip, as well as the chamber of the barrel, your headspace should be OK.

I would not grind away to much, a slight amount of rubbing probably isn't bad as long as you keep it lubed, My fear would be removing too much such that it floats too much and could end up tipping and pinching.

The cheap thin metal on they use on the hulls now will do that occasionally, they bulge too much because they are too hin then they tear upon extractions for the same reason.

I have not noticed that type of wear on the ejection port of my 930, but I use it primarily for hunting so might not have enough rounds through it to see it yet.

If you get this thing running flawlessly you may be getting a call from JM himself wanting one. LOL

As far as I can tell, the spring should keep the pusher from tipping too much. It's a pretty close fit on the outside mag tube and inside the pusher. But you do have a valid point. It's something I'll have to keep an eye on.
However, I can't find any evidence of the stock part rubbing on the underside of the barrel. So I'm pretty sure it isn't supposed to.

YES!!! Awesome write-up and btw, Welcome Aboard! :) Now you need to mold a clear fore-end or machine holes into your existing so everyone can see the lovely but functional artwork you have created! :D I would guess your pusher would retail for $300 or so with the work you have into it... :eek: Maybe get it down to $200 with economies of scale... Anyone know how much the factory part costs? o_O (to put it into perspective)

If I were producing this part for sale, which I'm not, I think a price point of $100-$120 would be about the going rate. It's just not that complex a part. With the right machine, it would only take 15-20 minutes to make.
And I would include hard anodizing, instead of just bare aluminum. Which would be an improvement over what I have right now. But I just couldn't justify the cost for a one off prototype.

Greg B,
THANKS for the great posting along w/ the pictures of the progress you made reproducing the pusher.
The rubbing on your magazine is nothing compared to the marks made by the stock Mossberg pusher on my 930.

On a side note what kind of pieces did you make for GS engines?

The rubbing is on the underside of the barrel. And it really didn't seem to cause any performance issue. The weapon fed, chambered, fired, and except for one shell, extracted every single round.
Now I wasn't firing near as fast as folks who are competing with these shotguns, but I wasn't waiting but a couple seconds between shots.

As for GS's, I made top end oilers, cam chain tensioners, plus caliper hangers so riders could upgrade to more powerful, better performing brakes. Also vented oil filler caps. Wrist pin buttons. Plus I did a lot of valve back cutting, and oil pan slimming. (In drag racing, the lowest part of the bike controls how much you can drop it and still stay in the rules)

Last edited:
Each time I call for replacements, I get two at no cost (I pay the shipping).

If that is consistently Mossbergs policy for everyone, I imagine there really is an issue with this part, and Mossberg really should address their design.
Especially considering they are marketing the JM series as an out of the box competition gun.

If that is consistently Mossbergs policy for everyone, I imagine there really is an issue with this part, and Mossberg really should address their design.
Especially considering they are marketing the JM series as an out of the box competition gun.

I do not know about"everyone", but this is how I am treated (Very well I might add).

Greg-

If you did want to get it anodized eventually, we have a run every few weeks that it could be dropped into for you. The forward marks on your ejection port are not uncommon. If you watch a lot of video of 930s properly ejecting, it usually slaps the shell back into the front of the receiver. It's the ones that just fall out of the gun that indicate barely enough energy to cycle it properly.

-William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

Greg-

If you did want to get it anodized eventually, we have a run every few weeks that it could be dropped into for you. The forward marks on your ejection port are not uncommon. If you watch a lot of video of 930s properly ejecting, it usually slaps the shell back into the front of the receiver. It's the ones that just fall out of the gun that indicate barely enough energy to cycle it properly.

-William

Sine the receiver is not a stress bearing member (As far as controlling gas pressure and the lockup), I wonder if removing 1/64" would help the brass clear without it contacting the forward edge of the ejection port....

Greg-

-William

William, that's very generous of you. However, since I've already bonded the titanium rods in, I'll just kinda live with it. I'd have to disassemble it since the anodizing processes are different for the two materials.
I may try to machine another one and really see if I can get that last few grams out. Just for the heck of it. I was in a bit of a hurry to finish this first one, and I can see a few little details I think I can improve on.

I think it's a work of art! If my Uncle Sam treated me better I would have one made LOL! If one needed the most reliable shotgun possible you have solved that potential problem.

Sweet work Greg, looks like a awesome addition to any 930. I don't even have a 930 (yet) but in be willing to get one as well .

Thanks for the comments, folks.
So far, it's worked out pretty well. Again, might not have been necessary, but I've like making things like this.
I've since welded up my lifter, no more caught thumbs. And made up a version of the recoil spring plunger that captures the end of the spring, retains the stock spring rate, and actually weighs 1 g less than the factory piece.

Plus I added an OR3GUN forearm retainer. But I think that increases the felt recoil, since now there is two aluminum components smacking into each other. Rather than aluminum against the stock plastic retainer.

Back