• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ammo choice for mvp patrol in 308

rgccisd

Copper BB
Hello to all! I am new to this forum and did not see this question posted. I recently purchased the mvp patrol in 308. I tried out some fusion 168 grain rounds that averaged 1.5"-2.5" 3-shot groups at 100 yards. Rate of twist is 1-10. Any weight recommendations? I would like to try 150 grain pills as they can give me max velocity out of the 16 1/2" barrel. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome aboard.

My go-to production .308 round for a 1:10" barrel is the Federal Premium Gold Medal Match with the 168gr Sierra MatchKing HP boat tail projectile. The round puts up consistent .5" groups at 300yd out of my 20" Remy 700. Managed a .39" three shot 300yd group last time out. At 100yd you should have a hard time figuring out how many bullets went through the hole.

With 150gr projectiles I think you'll find them much less consistent on target. While you will get more muzzle velocity, the 1:10" twist simply spins the lighter 150gr projectile too fast. The result is an increase in drift and much wider groups. Your results may vary, but I only use the 150gr stuff for banging steel...

Make sure your base and rings are good and tight. And what kind of rest were you using?

A back pack for the front and a pillow for the rear. Fired off of the bed of my pickup. Not ideal I know but was able to hold still to keep crosshairs in the 10 ring

Thanks for the ammo suggestion LES. Found several boxes online and placed an order.. Read a lot of great reviews! I wonder what the velocity will be out of the 16 1/2" barrel. I'm sure it will be good enough for hunting out to 200 yards

LES is one smart guy and great rifleman, and I totally agree with his suggestion to go with 168s and the FGMM is the king of the hill for factory accuracy (even beats most careful handloads).

Then you mentioned hunting (I'm assuming whitetail).

Federal GMM is a hollow point in definition only. It's not an expanding bullet.

You might try a box or two of these:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.ph ... tegory/74/

The price is right, they shoot great from MOST rifles, and are good whitetail hunting rounds. Their accuracy might even be real close the the FGMM out of your rifle.

You're too kind nite.

rgccisd,

I'm just a paper puncher, but nitesite has the goods when it comes to hunting ammo. He's probably forgotten more than I've ever learned... ;)

I would disagree with this statement. Too many folks give this advice. If you want the best precision, you want to use torque wrench to the proper torque for scope bases, rings, and action screws. Too much torque is just as bad as too little.

nitesite said:
Make sure your base and rings are good and tight. And what kind of rest were you using?

As far as ammo is concerned FGMM 168gr is the industry standard for a factory load. I've used it with great success...even though I prefer Hornady bullets.

I'm a big fan of the Hornady 178gr Amax if you reload.

Ok mossberg fans... After attempting for many months to find an accurate factory round for the patrol 308, I finally found something that works. First of all, in this months issue of American Rifleman, they did a review of the mvp. According to the magazine, they tested the MVP Patrol with 150 gr. ammo and we're getting roughly 1.3 inch groups average out at 100 yards. I personally did not get this kind of accuracy. I was getting around 3.8"-4" groups at this distance with 150 grain ammo(hornady, Remington, fusion) all were soft point type ammo. I tried federal 168 gr. MKHP and could do no better than 3"-3.5" at 100 yds. Decided to try 180 gr. ammo. I only tried Ted Nugent 180 gr. ttsx ammo and BINGO!!! 0.7"-1.3" groups! Ammo is about $40.00 for 20 rounds. Picked up 5 boxes. Very pricey but I am confident that I can hit what I'm aiming at. To me, it's worth the price. I don't have a chrony so I don't know the velocity. Hope it's not too slow. Plan on using it for hunting out to about 150 yds. Do not think it will be a problem. Hope this info will help out. Thank you all for your input. Happy shooting! FYI.. Rifle is topped off with a Nikon 3-9x50 bdc scope.

Glad you found something that's working for you.

Just goes to show that every rifle is different and what works well for some, doesn't necessarily work for all. Good luck on the hunt...

I know there may be some out there that would shake their head in disbelief at what I am going to say next, but I am getting as good as 1/2 moa at 100 yards when I do my part using my FAL and wolf 308 ammunition.

That PPU 7.62x51 ammo that is selling for about $10 per box at walmart gets 4+ inch groups and looks more like a shotgun pattern than a rifle group.

Federal XM80 Lake City gets about 1-1/4 to 1 3/4" groups which is good enough for hunting, but the wolf 308 has been my top performer so far.

I know, different gun, but I was surprised that the wolf was performing as well as it was comparing to how they work in my other guns and calibers. I do have pics and video for verification because so many people shake their heads in disbelief, they're in the epic FAiL thread.

Hi all

Im new to site but would like to revive this thread.

I have recently purchased the MVP patrol 308, 16.25" 1:10 twist and Im Seeking the most accurate supersonic and sub sonic mainstream factory ammo to suit the above specs.

I will be hunting medium game in oz at a distance inside of 100 meters at altitudes ranging between 250 and 1200 meters (mountain woodland country) mainly around 600m. Temps vary so average 22 degrees C

Any assistance would be appreciated to save time and money?

Highlander

i have had a good run with feseral vital shok 130g speer hp got them from cleavers in bris $25 a box of 20. I have the same rifle and used them on pigs.

Back