• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ammo

I have encountered difficulty finding 12 ga. target loads with velocities of 1400 fps or higher. I didn't used to have that problem, but now I can't seem to find them anywhere. I've looked online, but most don't list the velocity. Turner Outdoors doesn't seem to have them. I'm going to check out Wally World, but both are like 20 mi. away. Anything less than 1400 fps will cause the shotgun to not cycle properly. Anyone else having trouble finding the right ammo?

I will go do some research and report back .
In the mean time tough ; I found that I could get mine to cycle with lower velocity shells by using 1 oz. , 1 1/8 ,or even 1 1/4 oz. loads

I replaced most of the guts of my 930 with OR3GUN parts and have no problems with anything I run through it.

I did have it set up for some low velocity stuff and then ran some 3" turkey loads through it which did seem to cause it to cycle really hard and I actually had the plunger stick causing it no cycle properly. I really should have increased the recoil buffer spring tension before hand. That is the first issue I've had in a really long time.

Honestly I never had much of a problem before, but it does run really smooth now. I have the Waterfowl edition with a 28" barrel which I think helps some. After swapping parts I can run lower velocity stuff through an 18.5" barrel with no worries.

That's what kind of irks me, I mean, I buy 45acp and I know, no matter what it is, it'll work in my gun. If I buy any 9mm, I can be sure it'll work in that gun. But when I go to buy shotgun shells, I have to read the box like I'm reading the side effects of my latest prescription pills just to see if maybe it might work in my shotgun. So frustrating.

That's what kind of irks me, I mean, I buy 45acp and I know, no matter what it is, it'll work in my gun. If I buy any 9mm, I can be sure it'll work in that gun. But when I go to buy shotgun shells, I have to read the box like I'm reading the side effects of my latest prescription pills just to see if maybe it might work in my shotgun. So frustrating.

I love my 930 but my 500, 835 and 870's have never cared what I shoot. LOL

I got my 9 m.m's, and a sweet .45 acp - but when it comes to home self defense and Giant Zombies breaking down my front door ; my shotgun will be in my hands .So to me , it's worth a little bit more attention and T.L.C

The primary difference with shotguns is there exists factory ammo that far exceeds the range you will find for commercial pistol ammo. The power factor (load weight x velocity) of 45 ACP pistol ammo ranges from 157 PF at the lightest to 218 PF for +P loads. The lightest commercial load is still at 72% of the heaviest and will likely have enough energy to cycle the action if set up for the hottest load without damaging anything.

Autoloading shotguns are being asked by the ammo makers to cycle 375 PF cowboy loads to 1138 PF magnum turkey loads. The lightest load is only at 33% of the heaviest. If set up to handle the heaviest load, the lightest will not have anywhere near enough energy to cycle the lightest. Unfortunately, if you are set up to handle the lightest, you will damage the gun trying to run the heaviest.

The 930/935 gas system has a secondary that bleeds excess off and allows from the factory, the ability to run about 500 PF to 750 PF all day long. This lightest load is about 63% of the hottest, which is a much better ability to run a wide range of loads than a 45 ACP pistol. It just doesn't cover all that is available for ammo. The secondary gas system in the 930/935 allows slightly hotter loads to be run in moderation, while lighter loads will malfunction unless all sources of friction and resistance are greatly reduced.

This is why we have a line of Competition parts that are different than the Multi-Use parts. This is also why the ASR is important for adjusting the recoil assembly to the correct range. The Quick-Adjust ASR allows use of the extremes in most 930s/935s, but requires a setting change when going between them because it simply isn't practical for the same configuration to run every 12 Gg shell on the market. Get your 930 slicked up and eliminate as many sources of friction as possible and the range will open considerably.

William

http://www.OR3GUN.com

I can attest to felt recoil in various loads.
I have an OR3GUN spacer tube,along with my lighter pusher assembly & plunger, my regular Federal 7 1/2 target loads and re- purposed slug loads are pretty mild.
Last week I ran some Rio 00 buck, and it was punishing.
My whole recoil system is about two grams lighter than the factory set-up. I think I'll have to figure a way to add some preload to the recoil spring when shooting heavier loads.

Or3gun William -

I never thought it might be a problem ; but I shoot Double ought Buckshot out of my 930 Rhythm pretty often . I reckon it might be beating up the gun..... I think I should get one of your "thing a ma jigs ", don't you think so too?

Excellent post Sir. Thank You.

The primary difference with shotguns is there exists factory ammo that far exceeds the range you will find for commercial pistol ammo. The power factor (load weight x velocity) of 45 ACP pistol ammo ranges from 157 PF at the lightest to 218 PF for +P loads. The lightest commercial load is still at 72% of the heaviest and will likely have enough energy to cycle the action if set up for the hottest load without damaging anything.

Autoloading shotguns are being asked by the ammo makers to cycle 375 PF cowboy loads to 1138 PF magnum turkey loads. The lightest load is only at 33% of the heaviest. If set up to handle the heaviest load, the lightest will not have anywhere near enough energy to cycle the lightest. Unfortunately, if you are set up to handle the lightest, you will damage the gun trying to run the heaviest.

The 930/935 gas system has a secondary that bleeds excess off and allows from the factory, the ability to run about 500 PF to 750 PF all day long. This lightest load is about 63% of the hottest, which is a much better ability to run a wide range of loads than a 45 ACP pistol. It just doesn't cover all that is available for ammo. The secondary gas system in the 930/935 allows slightly hotter loads to be run in moderation, while lighter loads will malfunction unless all sources of friction and resistance are greatly reduced.

This is why we have a line of Competition parts that are different than the Multi-Use parts. This is also why the ASR is important for adjusting the recoil assembly to the correct range. The Quick-Adjust ASR allows use of the extremes in most 930s/935s, but requires a setting change when going between them because it simply isn't practical for the same configuration to run every 12 Gg shell on the market. Get your 930 slicked up and eliminate as many sources of friction as possible and the range will open considerably.

William

I don't think you have an ammo problem, I think you have a gun problem lol.

I've owned my 930 for over 7 years now and I have never had an issue feeding it anything through thousands and thousands of rounds. I have had some cycling issues over the past two hunting seasons but it's because I'm to lazy and cheap to breakdown and order a new gas piston from mossberg. I just keep cleaning the piston and polishing the mag tube and it gets me through the season. A gun that you have to be picky about ammo is useless in my opinion. I would definitely be investing my time and a little money in getting the gun setup to run whatever you throw in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

William

Thanks for the info. I know I'll be talking to you in the future. Right now I'm trying to get an AR 15 up to speed. I'm on SS, so money is always tight. I know I'll need the spacer, mag spring, and follower. We can talk about other stuff after that. Thanks again.

I don't think you have an ammo problem, I think you have a gun problem lol.

I've owned my 930 for over 7 years now and I have never had an issue feeding it anything through thousands and thousands of rounds. I have had some cycling issues over the past two hunting seasons but it's because I'm to lazy and cheap to breakdown and order a new gas piston from mossberg. I just keep cleaning the piston and polishing the mag tube and it gets me through the season. A gun that you have to be picky about ammo is useless in my opinion. I would definitely be investing my time and a little money in getting the gun setup to run whatever you throw in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would definitely be investing my time and a little money in getting the gun setup to run whatever you throw in it.

My 930 Rhythm runs Buckshot just fine ; but I wonder if it's punishing the gun ?

I would definitely be investing my time and a little money in getting the gun setup to run whatever you throw in it.

My 930 Rhythm runs Buckshot just fine ; but I wonder if it's punishing the gun ?
I'm thinking that your barrel is longer than mine (18.5") so you probably have more gas to actuate the bolt. I think I'm getting short cycles with under-powered ammo. Buckshot and slugs run fine. It's when I get to the lighter target loads that things go south. I've found some heavy clay bird shells at 1350 fps that work well, at Turners. They cost about $10 a box of 25. I really need to get some of those OR3 goodies for it.

Back