• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ammunition Performance Reviews

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
I'll add links in this post to different load types that have been reviewed on Mossberg Owners.

Take the reviews for what they are. They arent a gaurantee of perfromance, but should give you an idea or expectation of a given load.

As always, I encourage you to test any ammo you have. Conduct your own pattern tests, group slugs... Individual barrel/ammo combinations can produce crazy drastic results. So dont sue me if my 590A1 20" VCS patterns differently than your 500 26" VR full choked field gun. Cuz I dont have anything! :D And definitely dont stake your safety on patterns you see on the interwebz. Use the reviews and evaluations as a tool to help you make an educated decision.

More performance evaluations will be added over time, like Lightfield Less Lethal for example, or Hornady TAP Light Magnum 00 buckshot.

Additionally, take the time to use the search feature in the header to the right if you dont see what youre lookin for. You may find that its been done already, but feel free to add to reviews, your own patterns and with what gun.

I'll add here also, we dont tend to make claims without pics to back them up.

Links will be goin up soon!!! :D

00 Buck;
Federal, Hornady, Winchester, Remington, Rio Royal

00 Buck Reviewed
00 Buck Testing
RIO OO buckshot VS. Federal Tactical LE132
My short test of RIO OO and Hornady Critical Defense
Federal 00 Buck FliteControl

Federal Premium:
Federal Premium 2 1/2 .410 000 Buck *Plus Video*
Federal Personal Defense w/ FliteControl Wad

Winchester:
Winchester Supreme Elite PDX1 (Buck & Ball)

Hornady:
*Video Review* Hornady Critical Defense 00 Buck

Slugs;
Centurion, NobelSport

Nobelsport & Centurion .650 range report
DDupleks
Monolit 28 Steel Slugs

Rifled Slugs;
Hornady

Hornady 12 ga. Rifled Slug, 300 gr. FTX

By Firearm;
930 SPX, 18.5" Barrel

930 SPX Pattern Test 00 Buck & Turkey Load
590A1, 18.5" Barrel
Remmy Slugs vs Federal TruBall Slugs

Damn, I need sleep. I thought you wrote that we sometimes take pics to back up our findings...

Whaah? We can actually post photographs here on this gun board?

:)

Good thread Rossignol! This should grow exponentially!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! I hope to see it grow and I really like getting folks involved with their firearms/ammunition choices.

And yeah, pics are good. In fact, I wont add to the list any links that dont contain photo documentation. It not only helps us to have a visual and measurable evidence, it also helps to prevent baseless arguement. Not that we dont have a remarkable group and community here, but the site is growing and there are new comers everyday that I want to see join in constructive projects and discussions.

I think MO has been fortunate to have so many voluntarily conduct their own testing and reviews and also to publish thier findings. While we dont have a specific set of rules for testing, all I ask is that the individual provide needed information, like the range, the gun, barrel length and of course the load. Load ballistics are also a plus. (eg. Mossberg 500 .410 24" VR fixed full choke, 10 yards, Federal Handgun 2 1/2" 000 buck... and I forget off hand the muzzle velocity).

I'll add the links under the first post, likely start sorting through them tonight!

I have begun adding links, but there are a handful more yet!

NiteSite, you may recognize one of them under the 00 buck links. ;) Its the thread from THR I originally contacted you about I guess nearly a year ago?

I'd like to see a performance eval done one Estate buck and slug. It's made in the US and is relatively inexpensive. From what I gather at vendor sites such as midway USA, cabelas etc. Online purchasers seem to like the stuff. Occasionally it goes on sale at cabelas for 15 bucks a box (25) and that is what I find attractive. Price wise it beats the buck plus a pop name brand stuff. Yet is it as good?

Gunner, I havent had occasion to try those yet. Is the buck and slug loaded together in a single load?

By all means, if you get a chance, get some and do a write up and I'll add a link for it here. I'm lining up a few others right now for patterning;

Hornady Light Magnum 00 Buck
Winchester Magnum 12 pellet 00 Buck
And maybe Remington

I want also to get Hornady Critical Defense 00 in the near future.

Hehehe..
They are seperate. Estate is a US company that makes, bird shot, 00 Buck, #4 Buck and rifled Slug. The last box of Estate shells I bought was 25 rounds of 00 Buck for $11.49 (on sale). Which I thought was a pretty darn good price!

Its a decent price for premium stuff, I'd like to see how they pattern.

The only place I know of to get them is my LGS up here. The one in cincy doesnt carry them.

Just updated the original post to include the recent review of the Centurion and NobelSport side x side with pics by, our very own BenSamp!

I know there are others on here I have missed and havent found, if you know of them... please let me know and I'll get them added!

Estate is a subsidiary of the ATK sporting ammunition division. I can't say it's a "premium" brand yet ATK has quite a few of the "big" names in the sporting industry in it's stable. It's worth a google :)

I haven't forgot about doing the Estate ammo test with photos, though it may be this spring before I can get around to it.

No worries Gunner, I'm still looking forward to it!!!

I have a few things in my ammo box I havent been able to try yet either... Just kinda the way it goes man! ;)

I have had really good results with Brenneke K.O. slugs and Brenneke 3" Black Magic Magnums! Once I get a new sight setup on my shotgun I will have to do some serious shooting to get groupings, and "post pictures to back up my findings" :mrgreen:

I have noticed my mossy specifically can't hit the broad side of a barn with Winchester Super-X, nor does it like Remington Sluggers. Brenneke slugs are the best I have found, really would like to try out those Ddupleks Monolit you have linked above!

Anyone have further experience with that manufacturer and ammo?

http://www.ammotogo.com is having a sale on DDupleks ammunition, all of it is near 50% off!

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php?cPath=120_259_206&sort=2a&filter_id=53

Sounds good to me Itsricmo!

I havent used any of those, though there are some on here who have I'm certain. You may find some info via the search at the top right of the page!

I'd def be interested in what ever you find and if you begin a thread, I'll add a link here! ;)

MY OWN LINK!!!! WOO! haha.. Yeah I am waiting to get a good rail to mount some optics on. I ordered some ammo and it should be on it's way!

:D Awesome! Though I really dislike the waiting part...

Yep, you own link, right here on the premier Mossberg firearms forum!

We have a section for optics and mounting solutions too! Check under the "Optics" subforum!!! ;)

I have already posted in one, something like: "Rails/Optics Mounts"... I have purchased an AIM-Sports full length rail, gonna co-witness an Aimpoint with magpul BUIS and see what results I get

Yeah some where in that sub forum you asked and so did Oli. The OP has a "Finally... Finished I Think" that has a picture of it in Desert Tan.. I'll try to find it

Works for me! ;)

Getting ready to add some more Hornady ammo to the reviews! :D

Woo! I used Hornady SST in a Pardner Tracker II my first year hunting.. group awesome at 50yds but I swear them dang things were scared of deer!!! Missed 3 good shots between 35 and 40 yards... :lol:

Back