• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ammunition stock pile

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
goosebob said:
All the sealed packs are fine but the three open boxes in the right of the second picture, the ammo didn't look to be in too good of shape. I don't know if it's good or not like this, but I'm not putting it through the AR I don't think. Anyone else have an idea? Would running them through a tumbler for a while clean them up?

It'll definitely clean em up a bit, but once clean you wanna look closely at the casings for any pits, dimples, or holes. If the integrity of the casings is corrupted in any way it can cause serious damage or injury.

When it comes to ammo my motto is, "When in doubt, THROW IT OUT!"

Thanks for the advice!

317783_679927078686_16501575_35809755_2818272_n.jpg

1650 .22lr, 1450 12g, 1280 7.62x39, 250 9mm

I have three bullets for my machinegun, one shotgun shell and 2 rifle bullets.

That's probably more than I'll need in an emergency. I'm good for a while

I lost all my ammo when my yacht with all my guns onboard went down in rough seas around Cape Hatteras...damn shame too!!...it was a 40 footer.

...................................................................... :lol:.... ;) ................................................................

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
goosebob said:
All the sealed packs are fine but the three open boxes in the right of the second picture, the ammo didn't look to be in too good of shape. I don't know if it's good or not like this, but I'm not putting it through the AR I don't think. Anyone else have an idea? Would running them through a tumbler for a while clean them up?

It'll definitely clean em up a bit, but once clean you wanna look closely at the casings for any pits, dimples, or holes. If the integrity of the casings is corrupted in any way it can cause serious damage or injury.

When it comes to ammo my motto is, "When in doubt, THROW IT OUT!"

can you take em apart and reuse the gunpowder? or is it not worth it? and maybe unsafe? idk...

John A. said:
I have three bullets for my machinegun, one shotgun shell and 2 rifle bullets.

That's probably more than I'll need in an emergency. I'm good for a while

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Under twenty rounds of heavily corroded ammunition? First, a tumbler won't clean them up. Loaded ammo just sits in the bottom of a vibratory tumbler and basically doesn't do much. Second, it's maybe a few bucks worth of ammo, and besides you didn't have to pay anything for it.

If I had a bullet puller I would maybe try to salvage the bullets but I really think I'd just chuck all of them. I say march on without them.

catnphx said:
- 200 rounds = 30-06 and .243

With a new 590A1 coming, I'll start the stocking process on that soon. My 9mm is my main self-defense weapon and I haven't shot the rifles in some time.

You will love the 590. I have several handguns and long guns but Chief among them for home defense is a 590 8+1 w/ ghost rings that hangs inside the bedroom closet.

And I think it deserves mention that you recognize the accuracy and versatility of a rifle chambered in .243 Winchester. It's almost a perfect cartridge throughout much of North America. What it isn't "suggested" to accomplish the '06 rifle can be counted on leave no doubt.

Here's a picture of my new and still meager stockpile on my washing machine, no less. ;)

IMG_3876.JPG

I think everything is pretty self-describing save for the box of Hornady "Critical Defense" shells. I picked these up in Washington and am anxious to try them out for the job of the ones I'm going to keep ready at all times.

The thing I wonder about, being new to the shotgun world, is... what's the goop on the Remington shells? I haven't fired those yet but am not too worried about them. Should I be? :oops:

You know... I have no clue, but its not the first time I've seen it, though never on my own.

I too am anxious to know about the Hornady Critical Defense!!!

K3Man wrote: "The thing I wonder about, being new to the shotgun world, is... what's the goop on the Remington shells? I haven't fired those yet but am not too worried about them. Should I be"

===========================================

I've seen it before...it's excess buffer material from the shell when the crimp was made. Nothing to worry about...

SHOOTER13 said:
K3Man wrote: "The thing I wonder about, being new to the shotgun world, is... what's the goop on the Remington shells? I haven't fired those yet but am not too worried about them. Should I be"

I've seen it before...it's excess buffer material from the shell when the crimp was made. Nothing to worry about...

It is actually a sealer so the buffer material doesn’t come out....hand loaders use things like nail polish and Elmer’s glue stick.
Buffer is very fine and will rattle out of even a good crimp with enough time riding in a truck or horse ….atv.

Back