• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

An article for your reading pleasure, lots of ? answered

Re: An article for your reading pleasure, lots of ? answerd

Sounds like hes being paid by Remington. Other than that, some good points, some arguable.

Like anything else, its difficult I think for any one person to say whats difinitive, but not a bad editorial.

IF the article is read without the remington fanboy aspect it is a lot more insightful.

I posted to hopefully get a discussion going on what one "expert" says another says the opposite..

Steve

I don't let his gun choice bother me. To each their own on that one and TBH I don't wanna be on the receiving end of a remington, Saiga, H&R or any shotty for that matter but I'll surely be carrying my 590A1..

DaveinCT said:
I don't let his gun choice bother me. To each their own on that one and TBH I don't wanna be on the receiving end of a remington, Saiga, H&R or any shotty for that matter but I'll surely be carrying my 590A1..

lol! Neither would I! Good point! No, I take no issue with his preference, I could have written the same article and ended with my preference being for Mossberg.

Well, I know there are some on this forum who prefer slings on HD Shottys, I agree about with an improved cylinder tightening patterns especially in conjuction with reduced recoil loads. I would not use bird shot, a pistol grip doesnt render the firearm useless though there are other factors or dynamics associated with it... Thats just off the top of my head without going through it line by line.

Still many good points and a decent analysis of what to consider for an HD firearm. Its just so much more dynamic I think than to be able to say here it is, this is it. I do however think if several great and experienced minds got together, I bet we would find many overlapping commonalities in individuals HD plans, some universals if you will. But I do like this article as it gives opinions or a perspective to potential pros and cons asssociated with a few different styles of SG's.

I think its a good find and a good read, thanks!

I am not a fan of pistol grips to be sure,
Slings on a duty or issued weapon in my mind is a retention thing and should be used.
But on the HD, not so much. although the argument could be made that the sling would provide the same function in a HD gun and duty gun.
I just feel the dynamics are different. (another post perhaps?).
As i am pro Shotgun for many many HD users, (another post again), I enjoy seeing the subject in print as shotguns for HD are not often published.

I think the general idea put forth by most "In the know" guys seems to be..

Full stock
pump
shortest bbl bossible (and legal)
at least a improved cyln to modified choke (although cyln is perfectly acceptable
extra rounds on the gun (most seem to prefer butt cuffs vs side saddle)
Sights (ghost ring prefered)
light
all in the lightest form possible.

I DO NOT think its a brand X thing, the above simple KISS shotgun can be produced in whatever platform you prefer (my choice is mossberg for many reasons).
All of the above items, except perhaps sights (if not equiped already on the bbl) can be had for under $50 dollars easy. If a person is abit crafty and uses homemade light mounts, less than that.
Led lights are inexpensive these days, most guys have an old set of scope rings and weaver rail pieces sitting around.

The article gives reasons for the newer HD shotgunner to look at and question, would thatwork for me? Not to many articles are written with the HD shotgunner in mind.
Steve

I'm totally agree with you on your break down of the shotty as an HD firearm.
And this is where I think there are a few "constants".

The pistol grip thing... there are a number of reasons it isnt altogether practical. For me the biggest reason is not everyone in the house can handle it. But a guy can certainly become proficient with it. It adds another variable though that doesnt lend to a user being able to pick it up immediately and be able to function it adaquately for HD, when it may really matter, where a stock pressed to the shoulder I feel is much more universal and it is easily understood even to a novice user.

Which brings me to the next point. KISS. I couldnt agree more here, and this is why for my personal preference, I rule out an autoloader for HD. Not everyone here will be able to handle it, cycle it, function it properly. Everyone here however can use a pump.

So, I think we agree on more than we disagree on, and are actually very like minded on our HD philosophies.

Thanks Steve!

Indeed, We do agree. Usually with discussion on a subject, we find out that the end goal being common. We also find that we usually have the same sources for research and the things we have thought of on our own (both mistakes and successes) are similiar.

As for the PG it does have its place, on a breecher for example when the breecher is only a entry tool, or the SG is a back up to a Rifle.

My only problems with it for HD are:

1) Looks (evil libs think a PG is more evil and dangerous, thus the possibility of a Home Owner being construed as a "whacko looking for a fight or opportunity to kill" ( I have testified at a trial that the DA pulled exactly that crap)

2) Ability to truely AIM your shot properly. I just do not see it being done consistantly under pressure

3) Stability and ability (as you stated) of all users in the family (tough on 10 yr old hands), training with a stock has proved easier to handle (for LEO's as well, you would be surprised at how many have trouble hitting with a STOCKED aimed shotgun.

IF a person has trained with a PG and can hit to their satisfaction by all means go for it.
From my own persional experience, It hurts when you bash your front teeth nearly out with a PG cause you tried to Aim a shot under pressure and whapped yourself silly.

hunter72 said:
It hurts when you bash your front teeth nearly out with a PG cause you tried to Aim a shot under pressure and whapped yourself silly.

lol! Sorry, but I've seen it done, never done it myself! :) I can handle it at the range, never tried it under pressure, running drills or anything...

I can see the point with the PGO vs. its appearance to the law. PGO looks like something intended to deal violence, while a stocked gun with hunting rounds used to protect the fam "looks" more pc.

exactly....
My HD shotgun looks just like a standard hunting gun.

My toys on the other hand..while completly suitable for HD are not GO TO guns persay..
I even have an H&R single shot I train with for speed of reloading...just in case I need to defend myself in court AFTER i defend myself at home.
INFER what you might from the above

Back