• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

An issue of intervention

Kodiak

.270 WIN
First let me say that I'm sorry I've not been around much. Life and work has taken its toll this last year! Nothing bad just very busy.

I was reading a post on another forum where someone involved themselves in a domestic dispute in a parking lot. No one got hurt and LEO showed up to settle the situation. The discussion ended up debating the question "intervene or not, which is "morally" right?". Personally, as a CHP holder that carries everyday, I would be hard pressed to be other than a good witness.

I read the linked article and it takes a lot into account and maybe some things we don't think about as we go about our daily business as armed citizens.

The issue of intervention

What are YOUR thoughts?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

Excellent article, thanks for posting. I rarely carry a firearm, concealed or otherwise, unless I'm hunting or target shooting, and even then mostly on my own property (rural Mississippi), and being nearly 70 I don't hang out in bars or other unsavory places. So there's really no reason to carry other than the occasional cotton mouth encounter here. I consider myself pretty well trained (courtesy of 20 years in the Marines), but I doubt I'd intervene in the kind of situation described in the article, unless it were a matter of life and death, and maybe not even then.

Thanks for sharing the article. Interesting read especially coming from an individual that has seen the worst in people on a daily basis for a good chunk of his life and was tasked with the grim responsibilities of dealing with such individuals.

Its tough to say. Until you are actually in a situation only then can you make the call to get involved or not. Unless the aggressor has you at muzzle/knife point its probably best to smartly get concealed, be the best witness humanly possible noting height, weight, eye/hair color etc....... and contact the authorities as quickly as possible. Even better if you can snap a photo or quick video of the suspect in case they book it before authorities arrive.

While it's nice to be want to be a hero and save the day you have the obligation to come home to your family at the end of the day. Folks that go into that line of work take an oath to go into harms way. Unless you are bound by that best to not get directly involved.

The only thing that might commit me to intervening would be if it was a minor child involved whom had no chance in hell of defending his or her self. Even then I'd be hard pressed to step in. We just live in a world with a legal system where everyone is too sue happy and some how victims, innocent bystanders or good samaritans somehow get turned around as the criminals. Its appalling actually.

YMMV as usual.

Back