• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Another 80% AR lower

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Needed a project badly. You know what Proverbs says about idol hands.

So, I ordered some things for my winter/rainy day project.

This is going to be 7075 T6 instead of another polymer disaster. And includes a jig and some bits, although I ordered some actual end mill bits separately myself.

And yes, I know that a complete lower is less expensive, I just wanted one I could actually call my own.

80-PERCENT-LOWER-KIT-WITH-JIG-1_1024x1024.png

Yes, they're supposed to be.

with it being ordered over the weekend and today being mlk day and the PO being closed has delayed the package and won't be here until probably Wednesday or Thursday, but yes, they're supposed to be anodized.

Anderson Arms is also selling a complete 80% kit that has an anodized lower.
edit to add link: http://www.andersonrifles.com/product/80-jig-with-anodized-80-lower-receiver/

If you can find a mill to mill out the mag pocket, it will come out OEM clean. I have done Them with a drill press and a mill, mill every time .

Brownells had Anderson 80% lowers for $50 ;-D Looks like they are out of stock now. I do not believe they were anodized though.

My jig and lowers should be here soon, I got the shipping notification today.

If you can find a mill to mill out the mag pocket, it will come out OEM clean. I have done Them with a drill press and a mill, mill every time .

I have an manual xy cross slide vise and a small bench press. Closest that I have for a mill.

I completed a polymer lower from Ares a long time ago, but it didn't come with a jig and the marker tabs for the fire control pin holes were off considerably.

@MikeD I think I like the Anderson jig better than this one. I may hit you up to borrow it when it comes time to do the fire control pin/selector hole. Upon close inspection, the Anderson jig has pins and things that look like they would go in the bolt hold open hole, etc which should ensure that everything is aligned better.

At least how it looks by my untrained eye.

That will work. If it is a belt driven press, go slow and a little bit of depth at a time.

It is belt driven. And much of it will be hogged out by the 3/8 drill using plunge cuts.

I looked online to find speed/feed charts for 7075 T6 so I can get it right and it said optimum rpm was ~1000 rpm for the 3/8 endmill bit. I think my 2nd pulley was along the lines of 1080 I think so that's where I have my speed set at least.

Setting the depth is always the hardest thing for my setup because the top of the work piece is so near the drill chuck (which isn't always a bad thing because there will be less flex when extended), but it does make it harder for me to set the depth on a long bit. I ordered some adjustable stops that go directly on the bits from ebay for a couple bucks just as a secondary/cautionary stop.

I think it took a couple of hours on the polymer lower I did, but it was my first try and I was being really picky about it. It turned out really good, but, like I said, the hammer/trigger pin holes weren't right on their end and it totally bombed from there.

You have the jig, you will be alright. Use a air hose and blow out the chips as you mill.

Is the jig on that reusable or is it one and done?

That's a great price if you can keep using the jig over and over again.

You can make a template from the jig to mill out the mag pocket. Just use a small bit in the holes to transfer them to another piece to make another pocket jig. Outline the old jig.

Should be able to re-use it Mike. Long as the endmill bit doesn't bite into it.

(popcorn) :)

I have a trio of 80%-ers ready to be done, one each for me, my son and my daughter. And a brand-new jig to use on the drill-mill. I have enough parts to do a pistol and almost enough for a carbine. I pick up the occasional piece here or there. Probably build a rifle out of the third one. Time, not money (sort of) is the hold up here... :( I will be sure to take pics of the kids building theirs... :cool:

John is correct in saying that a complete lower is less expensive. Of course add $20-$30 for an FFL or pay a little extra from a local source (plus tax). Place around here sells Andersons on sale for around $60-$70.

This company (LINK) does a brisk business in 80s and parts as there are a couple/few mil-spec suppliers in the Daytona area. They are primarily an anodizing co. and also do powder coating but are also an FFL. So they will get in a crate of clear 80s, anodize to suit, then sell. Their prices have risen as they have become more popular. Last time I was there, they let me "test" an upper for them in the snail--poppin' caps in the hood! :D I am a long-time anodizing customer but have bought some blems from them among other parts in the past.

A word about 80%-ers... As soon as you cut anything out, it becomes a "gun" with applicable federal regulations. It is "OK" for a citizen to build him or herself their own gun (or three ;)). Building or helping build more than one and you become a "manufacturer" and are subject to licensing and regulation. The following concern came up regarding building a clear 80%-er then having it anodized after and this came straight from my anodizer (who is also an FFL): Yes, it can be done (ie: anodize a machined 80%-er) but since it is now a "gun", visual "custody" by the owner must be maintained throughout the anodizing process. And this would not be a common occurrence and probably only reserved for "special" customers. :cool: A serial-numbered (and recorded) completed 80%-er would simply be transferred temporarily to and from the FFL(s). Having a non-anodized machined pocket will not likely affect longevity at all according to them.

I believe you can complete as many as you want and are not considered a manufacturer as long as they are for purely personal use. Once you start doing it as a business, i.e. selling or distributing, you become a manufacturer.

Maybe we are saying the same thing but your description sounded to me that as soon as you finish multiples you are a manufacturer.

It is lawful to make firearms for personal use.

Anything further, like ever selling them, requires government interference.

err, I mean licensing and extra taxes, marking requirements, etc.

And now, you and only you can do the milling. If anyone else touches the lower in the process it has become illegal.

That's OK, I got this ;)

I think.

Let me elaborate a little. You can build more than one for personal use such as one each of a pistol, carbine, rifle, varmint, etc. (for example). But technically, you can not transfer the "gun" (lower) you made to anyone else unless it is serialized and through an FFL.

You can not also make (machine) an 80%-er for anyone as you are now a "manufacturer"... This would also apply to someone having an "80% build party" where everyone puts their lower into a jig and a CNC cuts it out after they press the button.

And speaking of CNC, this was one of the anodizer owner's friend's "toys", the cutouts done on a CNC. Also a pic of their snail... And a pic of my mockup "trunk" gun... ;)

millhappy.jpg snail.jpgmockup.jpg

Last edited:
@Bobster That first pic is really cool. Wish I had the tools to do something like that.

Back