• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Another AR build.

dieselmudder

.30-06
Elite Member
"Philanthropist"
Stopped at the LGS to check out powder inventory, ended up walking out with the last Anderson stripped lower they had, on sale to boot. 53 bucks out the door. This is going to be a christmas present for my pops, something he can tote around for coyote hunting. He's old school, so not a bunch of rails, and add ons. Going for lightweight, accurate to 200-250 yards, and reliable, without breaking the bank. Be a slow build since i have plenty of time, and plan to do a load workup once its completed.

Looks like an awesome project.

Put one together for my Pop a few years back and it was the single most rewarding project I've ever worked on. Never been so excited shooting anything myself as I was handing his rifle over and watching him shoot it.

What length barrel are you looking to use?

John A turned me onto the 16 inch lightweight barrels from Model 1. About the only non bull barrel I have seen with a target crown. And non threaded. Without spending big bucks for a truly custom barrel that is.

Nice.

You gonna run a longer twist rate to accommodate the lighter 45-50 grain varmint rounds?

The model 1 barrels are 1:9. They'll handle 45-69 gr well.

I really like my lightweight upper.

A lot!

I'm fairly certain that unless something has changed, M1S use ER Shaw barrels, and they've made barrels for nearly everyone in the business at one time or another. RRA, Shrubmaster, etc. I've used many over the years myself and find them to be good quality.

I like the lightweight profile. Cuts down A LOT of weight. Much lighter than an M4 or even standard CAR barrel profile. Makes them more of a pleasure to shoot. Especially when hoofing it around a while.

snow20storm20feb20201520005_zpsrcrv1xot.jpg

Nosler has some 60 grain varmageddon projectiles I plan to use for this one. I really like the 55 grainers, but with the slightly shorter barrel, (compared to my 20 inch) and lower velocity I'm going to bump the projectile weight up just a touch. Maybe help with a little stability for those blustery winter hunts.

The model 1 barrels are 1:9. They'll handle 45-69 gr well.

I really like my lightweight upper.

A lot!

I'm fairly certain that unless something has changed, M1S use ER Shaw barrels, and they've made barrels for nearly everyone in the business at one time or another. RRA, Shrubmaster, etc. I've used many over the years myself and find them to be good quality.

I like the lightweight profile. Cuts down A LOT of weight. Much lighter than an M4 or even standard CAR barrel profile. Makes them more of a pleasure to shoot. Especially when hoofing it around a while.

snow20storm20feb20201520005_zpsrcrv1xot.jpg

That's a big ole' scope.

Good Luck on your build - I have to say it is one of the most relaxing and rewarding things I do, my problem is I keep building them and I've run out of space!

I agree with Joe. They are fun to design and build.

I honestly do not know how many I have built and helped build over the years. It may would surprise some.

@dieselmudder with him shooting out to 250 yards, will be plenty accurate enough for coyotes. A 20 or 35 yard zero will be more than adequate out to 250 or a little more.

Update, some parts ordered. RRA single stage LPK, with Hogue grip in black. Aero "slick side" stripped upper, (no FA but bosses for dust cover) with Strike Industries Enhanced Ultimate Dust Cover Capsule. all from Primary Arms.

I put a strike industries grip on my NPAP.

Good stuff.

Parts list update, 16 inch C.A.R. lightweight barrel from Model "1" target crowned, Hogue rifle length overmolded free float tube, and Rock River A2 buttstock assembly. Went with the rifle length tube, so i can install a sling stud, to get a bipod out farther, for stability. should he choose to run one, i picked up a 9-13 inch Harris clone from a member on another forum, that height is too tall for my preference, but i will put it on there for him. He doesnt like it, he can just give it back. lol

Last edited:
c1c635b73a6f15e6873d65e22a998a33.jpg

Forgive the blurry picture. Phone camera is all I have.

Theres full assembly. Topped it with a Leupold VX1 3-9 in a P.E.P.R mount. Still trying to decide if I should outsource the camo dip, since my LGS has started offering it. Or go ahead and try it myself.

Thanks. I ran 20 rounds through it yesterday, for function check. Everything worked great, Nice ejection pattern, Bolt locked back last round every time. Need to find a couple o-rings to help tighten the upper to the lower. Gonna hold off doing any more shooting until its dipped. try to keep it as clean as possible. I'll try and polish the lens on my camera today and get some clearer pictures.

Back