• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Another Christmas build

dieselmudder

.30-06
Elite Member
"Philanthropist"
Couple years ago you may recall I built a Varmit/predator hunter for my old man for Christmas. Well I asked my sister if she wanted to get on the AR bandwagon. She was intetested.

The heart of this build is an ATI Omni Hybrid lower receiver. It's a polymer lower molded around an aluminum insert for the buffer tube and rear takedown pin. The price was fair at $60.00 at the LGS

It's going to be a basic carbine build, slick side upper, MOE furniture, A2 front sight post, with flip up peep. ALG lower kit, with their Quality Mil Spec trigger. Maybe ambi safety.
91abfd4bb0ae34d68d19c5f60af870aa.jpg

The OP is already full of WIN.

Got the major assemblies done last weekend. Ended up using a standard upper, and not a slick side. Due to availability. The fit on the Omni polymer lower is as good as any I've handled. The polymer has thicker sides than alum. and this leads to the pins being recessed, as opposed to flush. The lower actually includes set screws, that are installed after the trigger, and hammer pins are installed. To prevent walking. I couldn't get any good pics just yet. The magpul furniture looks and feels great.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

This is complete except for the front sight post detent. Only issue I've had with the polymer lower this far was being oversized at the molding for the buffer tube boss. It would bind the charging handle up against the upper receiver. Few minutes with a file corrected the issue. I may try an shoot it tomorrow.

Another issue with assembly was the crush washer for the flash hider splitting during assembly. While I was indexing it, all the sudden it gave way, and turned freely. My heart skipped a best thinking the lower had split at the magwell. Fortunately, the crush washer had gave way.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

d8ed2084338f93f9996fed9e3cdf9457.jpg
447d7820286ad2c98602db52827728c8.jpg

Here it is complete. I shot a full mag through it the other day, 10 slow fire, 20 rapid. Everything functioned properly. Now it'll just sit until Christmas. My sister's birthday was yesterday, so I ordered a 10, and 30 rnd Pmag, and had them shipped to her house.

Nice job punking your little sister with the rear sight. :laugh: :perfect:

Oh, lol it's there. Just flipped down. I guess that could be funny though. Watch her shoot like a shotgun for a few rounds.

Back