• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Another Mossberg 500, a Project Gun

I have a few Mossberg 500’s and a 590. Over the years I have accumulated spare barrels, stocks, fore arms, etc. I had been looking for a cheap 500 for a project. Last week on GB on one of my favorite vendors that deals in police trade ins and confiscations a New Haven 600AST, by Mossberg, showed up. This is a Mossberg 500 that they made for Montgomery Wards and Western Auto. The AST meant rifles sights for slugs, in fact it was called “The Slugster” It had the original barrel but some one had put a pistol grip on it. I put a bid on it and won it for $116, cheap enough even counting shipping and transfer, I am in it for less than $150. Picked it up today, really not in bad shape except for some pitting on the barrel, I am changing that out any way. I will up date as I make modifications.

I looked around at all the parts that I had and it looks like I am almost ready, just waiting on two new rails.

I needed to order a real shotgun fore end removal tool, the plastic Magpul tool wasn't going to make it, this AIM tool worked great.

The metal under the forearm looks really great, I do not think that this New Haven was really used much at all except for the last action before Police confiscation. The wood forearm is cracked and is pretty low quality compared to the early 80's wood Mossberg forearms that I have so it will most likely be either trashed or put in the way back, same goes for the hideous pistol grip

Well that is enough for tonight, other things to do

This weeks work, from parts that I already had laying around, a Magpul forearm that I had with two rails that I did have to buy

A MESA Tactical High LEO Adapter that I had

Also added a MESA Tactical High LEO Rail Adapter, had to buy that and a Magpul grip, had that

Well finished it up for now, the barrel was originally a 24" ribbed multi choke that someone cut down to 18.5" and parkerized that I got in a trade a long time ago. I have the same 24" barrel that is my go to M500 skeet barrel

The stock and red dot are on, still not too sure what I will use this for but leaning towards a garage or truck gun.

With one of my other M500's, it is a nice compact package

Back