• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Another reason I don't like electronic gun safes

Sounds like the vulnerabity is not necesarily the electronic lock but the blue tooth connectivity. First rule of keeping things secure, dont use features tbat broadcast anything via airwaves or internet. I cannot stress that enough.

When I got my safe I looked into the electronic keypad and opted for the old scbool dial. My concerns weren't with people breaking it as much as it failing and preventing me from getting in.

The more we allow everything in our lives to be web enabled the more at risk we are. You can get smart technology in door locks, window locks, garage door openers, thermostats, pretty much anything. What happens if that fails? Gets hacked? Think.about how much of our lives are impacted in ways we never really thought about if someone hits that internet kill switch or kills your bandwidth. Just food for thought.

Yeah, I opted to go with a dial on my safe too.

No keys, no fingerprint eye scanner, electronic pop, dna checker BS.

Just an old fashioned dial.

I went dial on mine as well. Almost zero chance of failure. I also tried out a biometric handgun vault, with all the kids being in the house now. It worked properly about 25% of the time, and battery life is pretty short.

I went with a regular old-fashioned combination lock safe.

We had a fire safe at work for all of our data, with an electronic lock, and it failed on me.

Now it wasn't an electronic failure.

What really happened was that someone had closed the door with the bolts out, and they bent the rack that moves all the bolts.

It did not prevent the door from closing and locking but later when I tried to open the door it would not open.

I wasn't hearing the usual click from the electronic lock, so I thought the battery was dead and I changed it.

It did not work.

I got a locksmith out and he drilled a hole in the safe, then tripped the lock with a screwdriver. The safe still didn't open.

Finally he got two enormous pry bars, and just pried the thing open. It was a double steel wall filled with diatomaceous earth, and that s*** went all over. When we got it all apart I found out that the safe had a rack made of diecast alloy supporting all these really Hefty steel bolts.

Anyhow I found that the electronics still worked fine, but the solenoid could not click, because it could not move due to the bent rack.

I forget the brand of that POS safe, but what I later came to find out was that most of the safes on the market have very poor support for the bolts until you get into industrial and Commercial quality safes.

When I bought my fire safe, I bought one that had really good support for the bolts and could not be pried.

Anyhow after that episode with the safe at work I never did trust electronic locks because a mechanical problem with the lock can cause you to think that the electronics have failed when they have not.

I see the same issue affecting the future of electric guns. Like that cheap safe, if you can't slam them around, then they're not worth a damn.

Back