• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Another Shockwave with wood furniture

DarkPassenger308

.270 WIN
Supporter
Thanks to Ranfunck for the inspiration.

I'm not super happy with the final shape of the grip, but my options were limited due to the location, depth and diameter of the original grip screw orifice. This project was a learning process for me, and went into it assuming it may not produce a usable result.

I'm looking forward to trying again with another buttstock I have laying around from one of my old 500s. It looks like I'll be able to shape that one to more closely resemble the plastic shockwave.

Unfortunately the corncob forend was already pretty thin in the front and it split after a few cycles of the action. A bead of gorilla glue, some sanding, and some touch-up staining seems to be an effective fix so far. I'm going to shoot it this weekend and hope it doesn't split again. If it does, then I guess I'll just have to try again with a different donor forend.

PfDdeJw.jpg

vn43dlx.jpg

iOhPl1A.jpg

2Yjv50d.jpg

S1gncj1.jpg

Looks really good.

A lot of those forends had a relief cut from the factory. So if it splits it is no big deal, and may be preferable.

Huh. I've never heard of that. Good to know, thanks! If it cracks again I guess I won't toss it in a camp fire right away. I'll roll with it and see how functionality is impacted (if at all).

On the forend, I don't know how good you are with woodwork, but you could try putting in a butterfly stitch with some ebony or other hardwood. It looks like an hourglass shape.
But it might be too thin to work...

Looks good though...

I'd guess less than 1mm thick at the crack. And I certainly ain't anywhere near good enough with wood to try such a repair. Looks pretty interesting, though. The butterfly is as much art as it is utility. Very cool. Fortunately for me, the barrel hides my gorilla glue butcher job just fine...

Well, if it cracks again and you opt for a new one, send the old one my way, I'll work on it and see if a can make it more gooder....

Well, if it cracks again and you opt for a new one, send the old one my way, I'll work on it and see if a can make it more gooder....

Forend held up just fine this weekend against a variety of shells, incl Brenneke Green Lightning slugs. Gorilla glue repair seems to have done the trick.

Speaking of more gooder: I made a new grip out of a different stock. I think it came out more gooder! Also attached the forend strap. Still need to find a better grip screw someday.

I'm having a lot of fun with the wood working aspect. All just trial and error for me. I may go with a darker stain. Still undecided. My wife loves this project, btw. Keeps me at home in the garage on a Friday night...

ngyg7BL.jpg

3UCsSBm.jpg

UeRYCt6.jpg

MlvSfi0.jpg

Last edited:
Ooh that's nice. Maybe a button or socket cap allen head screw for the grip screw. Not sure if there is a shelf deeper in on your grip that can recess the screw. If it could recess it deep enough, it may allow it to be followed up by a wood screw expansion anchor that you could screw a sling stud in to. That way with the sling stud you could run a single point sling if you wanted or just leave the stud there.

Back