• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Any idea what this is?

When I put the cams back out this year I set them both in video mode.

My best guess so far is feral/house cat.

Hmm, old thread, but from the stiff-legged gait I'd say it was a possum and not a housecat.

I'll tell you all my "dead" possum story sometime....

I caught a live possum by the tail once. Bear in mind I was raised on military bases from '55 to '74, so I'm basically a city boy.
Never shot possum. I shot jackrabbits in the desert, toads & snakes that crawl up on the desert roads. Never close to a possum.

So my mom calls me up about 20 years back, and says, "My dryer is broken. Can you come fix it? It sounds like rocks banging around."

I pulled the dryer away from the wall to unplug it, and the vent pipe separated. When it did a pink rat tail flopped on the floor. "OH, Mom...," I sez, "You've cooked a rat in your dryer! Musta crawled up the tailpipe." ;)

It didn't dawn on me that there was no cooked rat smell, and I put on a leather glove and pulled on the tail.

Out comes a dead possum , about a 3-1/2 pounder. "HoLeeChit Granny! You've cooked us a possum!" Well my mom freaked.
I tell people she was a hillbilly from Kentucky, but she was a city girl.

Anyhow I carried the dead possum by the tail, at arm's length, ~100 yards to the edge of the woodlot, where I was going to deposit its bloated carcass for the birds.

At about yard 101, that dead possum quit playing around and came back to life, with a very strong reaction to the indignity of his situation. In other words he hissed and tried to bite me.

I wound 'er up just like a baseball pitcher, and pitched that possum underhand into the brush a good 20 feet, where it faced me, arched high like a cat, hissed loudly, turned in that same posture, and stalked off never to be seen again.

There were nuts stored up inside my mom's dryer. I didn't know possum stored up their food. Once cleaned it ran fine.

Year's later, my dad passed on, and I inherited his '61 IHC Scout, which had sat outside ignored for many years. When I opened the hood, it was packed solid with a possum nest of leaves, twigs, and possum poop, plus a dead baby possum or two.

Dad told my mom not to leave food out for the stray cats. . .That "bloated" possum was just a well fed critter.

Back