• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Any Reason NOT To Add A Railed Handguard?

Misery930

.270 WIN
I've had my eye on the Bobcat (stupid name) rail for a while now and I think I'm going to request my fiance get it for my 930. The only thing I can see using it for would a sling mount and light. Maybe an AFG or Strike angled cobra grip. I have a light mount already and a sling mount on the factory handguard but ... The Bocat rail looks sooooooo cool! I could hypothetically enhance the function of the weapon but I am mostly focusing on form with this particular part. I would be able to reposition the front sling mount and add a grip if I so desired though. Are there any good reasons you can think of NOT to buy this rail? All I can come up with is that it may affect the balance of the weapon, make it really front-heavy and make it more difficult to hold with a one-handed firing grip and load while staying on target. Still not enough to overcome the appeal unfortunately. Any thoughts?

86896_wms.jpg

With that said, I do have a lot of weapons with railed handguards. For the left over rail estate that is exposed, I usually throw some magpul textured rail covers on there.

I have considered the texture as well. Rail covers aren't expensive though. I have rubberized grip tape decals on my handguard now and I really like it. I feel like the railed handguard could be a step down in that way but I could add a grip to remedy that ... What I really need to find out is whether or not the handguard has a ball detent on the front for the magazine tube to catch. If not, that will go a long way toward talking me down. If it does then that's another logical reason why it would be an upgrade to the weapon along with being able to reposition my front sling mount.

Rail covers aren't expensive though.
yes they are .....not even enough rubber to make a super ball in a 20 bucks worth of rail cover.

The only other thing I see is people are going to think your a tactical operator, mall ninja or whatever term is coined theses days for someone who lives in video game world.......all your buddies on SGW are going to disown you

I say people should run what the like, based on their own opinion.

I agree. I set my gear up to suit no one but me, myself and I and could care less what anyone else thought of how it looks.

Like I said, I have a lot of railed forends on various weapons.

Shucks, I'd put a front grip on a pistol if I could.

I dont have rails on anything but a few of my ARs. I don't like that they make the frip oversized and i found I never use them as much as I think I will.

Sent from my Excalibur Phoenix

I think an AFG on an AR pistol would be illegal in MI, but I will have to check, local laws do not always agree with Fed.

If all you need is a flashlight mount and sling point, try one of these. GG&S mount. I have it on my shotgun.

http://www.gggaz.com/mossberg-930-sling-and-flashlight-combo-mount.html

I have both already. I had that GG&G mount on my 870 and it created a gap inside the magazine that caught the spring and stopped it from feeding. I took it off and it never happened again. Also, I couldn't stand the way my sling was positioned behind the light. It made both removing the sling and activating the light more difficult because they insisted on putting them on top of eachother. The Streamlight 69906 mount I use on the 930 has a reduced steel thickness where it meets the magazine cap so it creates less of a gap.

Cheese grater? Twice? Do you people understand that rail covers exist? Shooting a shotgun in general would be unpleasant if you didn't use a recoil pad.

I am very aware and run larue & magpul covers on various ARs, they dont cover every rail & a shotgun kicks somewhat harder.... you cant ask for peoples opinion especially on a friendly forum then blast them for taking their time to give it....just not good etiquette

Today we are serving free whine with your choice of black cheese...... grater .....rail covers available upon request

Back