• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anyone else own a Marlin Model 60?

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I recently picked up a Marlin Model 60SB stainless 22LR though will be a while before I can shoot it. I did manage to put a 1.5-6x42 scope on it this weekend with some weaver extra tall rings. And since it didn't come with any qd studs for a sling and bipod, that is next on my short list of things to do.

I was curious what ammo are you guys using that gets decent groups out of the microgroove stainless barrels.

I have a myriad of brands of 22 bullets, though most are assorted bulk packs. The Remington subsonics have always done well in the suppressed Rossi youth rifle though, so I was going to try a handful of them too while I was at it.

Being the cheap guy that I am, I refuse to pay for premium match ammo that usually go for $7 per 50 or more though. But am willing to experiment with various cheap ammo's to see what the gun likes and is capable of.

MarlinM60SBright.jpg

I have one and its been fed mostly Federal bulk pack from walmart. I have been shooting it for over 10 years now with virtually no issues.

I only got to test fire mine so far. The scope that was on it was bad so I didn't get to shoot it for groups, but I did shoot a handful of bullets through it just to make sure it functioned alright and everything looked good (which obviously it did or I wouldn't have it LOL).

But now that I installed the new rings and scope, next thing is to get time to sight it in and see what it can do. I'm hoping that it's accurate enough for hunting squirrels and rabbits and raccoons and things. I've actually heard pretty good things about accuracy in these older marlins'. I hope this one is no exception.

I use irons on mine and have no issues taking down squirrels. It is a great little shooter.

p20367386-4.jpg

I have a Glenfield Model 60 (same gun, different name) that was my Uncle's. It is an older one but it shoots straighter than I do. I have killed squirrels at some pretty long distances with it using older Remington solid lead bullets. I also have shot CCI Mini-Mags and other more modern .22lr loads with good success, but it seems to prefer solids over HP.
I know of some others that have had the Marlins and Glenfields and all have killed a truck load of squirrels with them.
And that, ladies and germs, wraps up post # 500. :)

Re: RE: Anyone else own a Marlin Model 60?

I use iron sights with mine and prefer it over my stainless 10-22 ruger. Its a tack driver with bulk ammo

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

tcecil88 said:
I have a Glenfield Model 60 (same gun, different name) that was my Uncle's. It is an older one but it shoots straighter than I do. I have killed squirrels at some pretty long distances with it using older Remington solid lead bullets. I also have shot CCI Mini-Mags and other more modern .22lr loads with good success, but it seems to prefer solids over HP.
I know of some others that have had the Marlins and Glenfields and all have killed a truck load of squirrels with them.
And that, ladies and germs, wraps up post # 500. :)

Great post, and CONGRATULATIONS on hitting #500!!!!!

We appreciate you!

My Fiance has a Mod60 so I consider it mine too :p haha
I love the gun as old as it is, it still functions pretty well. I really want to tear it down and clean it REAL good but I am afraid of not being able to get it back together... :/

They are pretty easy to break down and lots of helpful videos online.

It isn't mine technically so that is why I am fearful of forgetting something or breaking it haha... I know the 10/22 is a breeze but never touched the M60

I have one in stainless and I love it. More accurate then the 10/22 I had and it is my go to hunting/plinking rimfire. I'll try to get some pics soon. I'm in training/meetings all week so my online time is very limited right now

Sent from my Mossberg 930 using Tapatalk2

OOOHHH OOOHHH...ME ME ME ME!!!

I have a Marlin Glenfield Model 60

BEFORE...
YqMbLl.jpg

iIegnl.jpg

AFTER...
84NR9l.jpg

Thats what it looks like with a new stock...

Yep I totally copied Dans..... :oops: :p

I love it. I can shoot anything I feed it now. Before I got it, my brother had it sittin around in his basement for years on a shelf collecting dust and rust. So I had to soak the trigger, and bolt for a week in WD-40 then I needed to lightly sand off the pits and junk. I finally got it to work. Now it runs like a dream.

Thats awesome!!! Did you shorten the barrel?
heh hehe.... CAUSE IT LOOKS 2 FEET LONG! ;) lol I know I know.. don't quit my day job!
How does that stock feel for a cheek weld?

:) good one...

It's ok. I think I need to put some padding on it to raise it up and so it feels more comfortable.

just an observation, is the cheek piece on backwards? I thought it drooped over the stock towards the shooter, unless you are a southpaw :eek:

The stock is all molded one piece. Well...2 really. The part that goes over the top of the barrel is #2.

I have a glenfield Model 75C stock identical to the one you took off of your gun.

Only the one I have is toast.

Would you be interested in selling the old wood stock you took off if it's in decent/usable condition?

Sure. My wife gave it to a friend of hers to paint a dragon on it for my birthday. well it didnt happen. I see if she can pick it up soon.

My wife is waiting on the lady to drop it off to her....I'll keep ya informed.

Roger that.

That old gun needs some work to get going.

Other than needing to replace the stock, there's a crack in the receiver that is going to need tig welded, a magazine rod (or whatever it is called), and maybe even more I don't even know about yet after I tear into it.

Back