1. Thank you Mossberg Owners for making us the greatest Gun forum on the planet.

Anyone ever knock out a tooth with the SW

Discussion in 'Mossberg 590 Shockwave' started by pepi, Apr 11, 2018.

1. pepi

pepi .410

I've got fake teeth in the front and after ordering a SW I'm wondering if I may have made a mistake? I assume it's all in the holding but this video looks like he was holding it like I've seen other shooter in other videos?

2. John A.

John A. I'm "THAT" guy Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I'm sure that it wouldn't be hard to sell or trade.

It also helps to not use the hottest shells known to man too. I'm not certain what shells he was shooting out of it, but they looked pretty stout.

A lot of people use "managed recoil" or "low brass" or "handicap" loads in the shockwaves specifically because the gun can be a handful.

Everyone is different.
  3. Ernst

Ernst .410

Correct me if I'm wrong but this certainly doesn't look like a Shockwave. If you look at the video frame by frame it "appears" to be a pistol grip shotgun. Hard to tell the barrel length but doesn't look like 14 inches.

For those of you who have shot both pistol grip shotguns and Shockwaves I think we can all agree there is a world of difference. Managing recoil using a pistol grip shotgun is a whole different animal and a wrist breaker.

Regards
    pepi likes this.
  4. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett 20g Supporter

Just start with birdshot or a lower recoil buckshot and work on your technique and you should be fine.
    I keep a low recoil buckshot in my SW for HD but I`ve shot Federal`s #4 and 00 buckshot, they`re manageable.

5. pepi

pepi .410

Thanks fellows! These implants are expensive LOL
    meanstreak likes this.
  6. Ernst

Ernst .410

Pepi, I fully agree with Elbert on working your way up on different loads. I'm on the far side of 70 and shoot everything up to and including Brenneke 3 inch black magic magnum 600 gr slugs from my SW. There is no issue with "aimed" shots once you get comfortable with the firearm. But suggest you also practice "hip" shots. Most people have an initial tendency to shoot high but with practice you will have no problem hitting your intended target using this technique. Practice, practice, practice!

My only recommendation is to wrap the SW grip with either tennis racket or hockey stick grip tape which you can get at any sporting goods store. It really makes a difference plus if needed you can add a couple of additional layers in the field. Particularly good if you live in wet or humid climates.

Welcome to the SW asylum.

Regards
    pepi likes this.
  7. pepi

pepi .410

You are correct ... My bad. That is a 500 with a pistol grip and I know they can be a beatch to handle.
  8. meanstreak

meanstreak .30-06 Supporter

Welcome to the forum Pepi.
  9. pepi

pepi .410

Thanks man
  10. Elbert Garrett

Elbert Garrett 20g Supporter

Here`s a side view of the recoil from Federal Power Shok - 2 3/4" 9 pellet 00 - 1325 FPS.

11. pepi

pepi .410

Doesn't look bad at all. I've got a whole case of these also. Just love to stock ammo LOL
    Elbert Garrett likes this.
  12. zzrguy

zzrguy .410

The grip make the gun more shootable then the pistol grip. I'm waiting for Remington to release the tac14 with wood in 20ga
  13. threadedbarrel

threadedbarrel Copper BB

I don't like shooting the 3" mag 00 buck loads. I think if you were new to the SW and put that close to your face, it could bust a mouth full of teeth out. But all the other loads I've shot have been manageable. You get a feel for how much it's going to come back, and it helped me to put some grip tape on the pistol grip. Even normal slugs weren't that bad. Start off with it away from your face with low power loads like the cheep clay busting loads; then if you want to try a new load again start out keeping it away from your face and get a feel for what it's going to do.
    pepi likes this.