• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Anyone watch Justified?

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Just curious if any of you guys watch justified on Fox FX.

I watch that show. I've watched it from the first season. it is great! i can't wait till it starts again. when the shield was on, i used to watch that too, and since i saw that shane was on justified i decided to check it out. been hooked ever since.....

I think it starts on the 15th of next week.....?

Yea...DVD'd the first season...and will watch this one too! I like the Raylan character ( Timothy Olyphant )

Well, there was a reason why I asked. It was a loaded question.

See, the main reason I was curious is because the show is supposed to be set in my home town. Although to date, has been filmed in PA and CA.

I admit that I only watched about half of the first episodes until the skin heads were blowing up buildings with rocket launchers (C'mon, gimme a break) and for some reason, the media in general has always depicted people who lived there in a negative light. Especially that documentary Harlan County USA, that passed up tens of thousands of nice/decent homes to film the worst places they could find for their movie.

Even as recently as 2000 with the film Harlan County War, even it was filmed in Nova Scotia Canada if memory serves me correctly.

Sure, in Harlan's past when they were trying to unionize the mines at the turn of the last century, that's when it got the knickname, Bloody Harlan because there was a lot of infighting and car bombs and house burnings and shootings and lynchings and things. Even to the point that the National Guard had machinegun nests on top of the courthouse to keep it from being burned (for the 2nd time since the civil war).

But a lot has changed since then. Even though a lot of songs have been written about how it used to be. You'll never leave Harlan Alive that has been done by Brad Paisley and Patty Loveless being one off the top of my head. But there have been many others if I were to sit and think about them all for a while.

I was able to find a little music video on youtube that was featured on the show (Justified by Cumberland River Bluegrass Band) that was actually filmed entirely in Harlan from people who grew up all within a few miles of where I did.

Even though the director just had to stick the image of a rooster in the video :roll:

Apparently, people that aren't from here just can't seem to get past stuff like that and must think that is going to somehow add to the "Harlan County Experience". :roll:

And yes, before anyone mentions it, that looks more like a 40 S&W barrel to me instead of a .45

At any rate, here are some places that I know and remember like the back of my hand growing up.

the view over Harlan from Ivy Hill, the old steel bridge at the Baxter Coal Monument, Verda exit/Hwy 1601, several places downtown Harlan at the Radio Station, past the post office, etc.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3LRVSKNu84[/youtube]

Back