• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

aquila mini shot shell

southboothbay kerry

.22LR
Elite Member
cute but do they work ? anyone played with these yet I'm thinking good for teaching recoil wise plus you could hold a rack of em only 11/2"long I bought a box of slug and buck today we will see

gee, I don't know now I guess single shot way to go with these they tend not to cycle too short however I found a youtube a guy made an adapter for 500 pump I'm going to check it out its only for Mossberg 500 models wont fit anything else

I ordered a couple of boxes of the buckshot and found the Opsol adapter at Amazon for $15. I also ordered this one. $12.95 shipped. It fits all the Mossberg 500 series too.

http://www.sportanddefense.com/

I'll report back with the one I like the best. One big drawback to these mini shells is the price. The buckshot and slugs are $1 a piece plus shipping. I have found the bird shot for $14.99 for a box of 20. I don't have much use for the birdshot tho.

Nobel Sport makes a 2¼" shell which is a bit cheaper at 70¢ per round, but really only gives you one extra round in the tube. I figure with the Aguila, I should be able to get 9, or maybe 10 rounds in my 590 tube.

So now I've had a chance to check out how the Aguila mini shells function in my 590A1. I installed the Opsol adapter. Takes about 5 seconds. Then loaded up the mag tube. Amazing. I have the 18.5" barrel with an S&J +2 extension. Holds 7 of the 2¾" shells or 11 of the mini shells, plus one in the chamber.

Before heading to the range, I ran two full tubes through the shotgun. I racked slow, I racked fast, pointed up, pointed down, and to the sides. Not a single blip. Every shell loaded and ejected perfectly.
At the range, I loaded 11+1 and fired them all rapidly. No problems. I finished off the box of 20, popped out the adapter in a couple of seconds and loaded and fired some Fiocchi 00 low recoil buckshot.
The recoil from the Aguila mini shells was very minimal. Slightly more than a .223. Maybe more like a .243.

Pretty decent pattern at 10 yards. 9 of the 11 pellets landed within the 8"x10" orange peel target. At 15 yards, it was starting to get pretty spread out, with all the pellets impacting within about 18 inches.
In conclusion, I have to say I like these little shells. They are very pleasant to shoot. Ordered 60 more from Ammo Freedom. I think they would be very good for indoor home defense.

As far as the two adapters...I haven't tried the one featured in the video above yet. The Opsol adapter is much less obtrusive. It fits completely into the loading chamber and is barely noticeable. The other one clips to the outside of the receiver and seems susceptible to being accidentally dislodged. With either adapter in place, You can't mix the mini shells with the longer 2¾" shells. The adapter will prevent the longer shells from chambering.

Here's how it looks installed.

$17.79 is the cheapest I have found for the mini shells, but I ended having to pay sales tax because they are located in Texas. Still saved a little tho. Also explains the fast shipping.

hey all, I hope to get out to the range i want to try these shells out I've looked around and same as you same prices same places I plan to grab some more and try to stock some up I have a feeling theses will go quick once they find the recoil wont bite quite so bad. something about all those shots coming out they just cant stop so far 5/8 slug and 00 buck 19.99.. then #1buck 17.99 i'll be looking around maybe bulk is the way to go Now a way to carry these marbles

Haven't seen the Aguila mini shells in 00 buck yet. The ones I have are a combo of seven #4 pellets and four #1 pellets in each shell. They make them in #7½ bird shot too. I've seen them for $12.99 a box, but I'm not really interested in bird shot. Nobel Sport makes a 00 Buck mini shell, but they are not quite as small as the Aquila. They are about a half inch longer.
Let us know how the slugs work out. I may pick up a couple boxes.

hey all yeah I got slugs 19.99 and buckshot 19.99 at gander mtn and #1buck 17.99 at ammo freedom check on ammoseek there are more choices popping up still 2.00 a pop 9.95 for 5 but they are exotic-shorty blend buckshot mixed birdshot hey are we allowed to say this stuff as far as what places?

Last edited:
Thanks for the great range report and write-up. I may have to get an adapter just in case I do decide to get some baby shells... :D

Still looking for an online store with Aguila Mini Shells in stock. Buckshot or slugs.

7/8 ounces slugs at Midway, $18.79, but they go fasssssssssssst.
I got email from Midway Friday night about 10:00 pm saying "The Aquila Minis are In" and by today, Sunday, the shotshells are sold out. Still some slugs left, but as you know, with these if you snooze, you lose.

https://www.midwayusa.com/12-gauge-1-3-and-474/br?cid=23047

Thanks MrSluggo. I just now ordered a couple boxes of slugs. I still have 80 rounds of the buckshot. Should be ok there for a while. I just wanted to try the slugs.

Thanks MrSluggo. I just now ordered a couple boxes of slugs. I still have 80 rounds of the buckshot. Should be ok there for a while. I just wanted to try the slugs.

I just bought 100 mini shells from AmmoFast.com

I've never purchased from them before, but the transaction was smooth and shipping was fast.

I specifically wanted 7.5 birdshot to use on squirrels that like to eat the insulation in my cabin. AmmoFast.com had them for $14.99 per box of 20 shells.

I don't know if they have mini slugs or buck in stock, but it's worth checking.

Ammoseek.com is a great resource, too. They keep a running inventory of retailers that have ammo in stock. Rifle, pistol, shotgun, rimfire, etc. Search for the ammo you want and ammoseek.com will tell you who has it in stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Checked out the Almmofast site, DP3, and it's another site that I've bookmarked. It does look like it has fast shipping, relatively cheap shipping ($9.99 up to $25 pounds).
They do have SOME minishells, but like everywhere, they come in and they go out fast.
Another source for spending my money, not that I need that. ;)

ammofast.jpg

Ammofast has better shipping rates than Midway for sure. It was $12 shipping for the two boxes I ordered.

Back